We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
15 reviews
Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

I am having problems booking MP and HP tickets on the Www.machupicchu.gob.pe site. I used instructions that were kindly provided on trip advisor and they are easy to follow. I get a reservation number but when I go to payment tab I get a message "no existe El codigo De Las reserva". It doesn't even let me put my visa details in. I have tried using various browsers -Google, explorer etc on a PC and I have made several reservations and got various different numbers but none will allow me to make payments. Overnight the HP tickets have now sold out for the date I wanted in Sept! Can anyone help or provide me with an email address as trying to ring the number they provided from Australia not speaking Spanish is difficult. Waiting in hope someone can help :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
302 reviews
1. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

Did 3 hrs lapse between the initial booking and the time of payment?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

Yes there was a delay the first time but subsequent to that I gave performed the payment part straight away in case that was the issue. I have also used three different PCs as well as browsers

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

Same problem with out group. Finally one member of our group used his Chase card that was already set up through 'Verified by VISA' to make a successful purchase

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
4. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

The problem the OP is referring to "no existe El codigo De Las reserva" indicates that the system can not find the code and it is most likely the number was not copied correctly or that the wrong number was copied. There are actually 2 numbers, a ticket number and a reservation number, the reservation number is 16 characters long. Additionally it is possible to confuse some numbers with letters like 0 & O or 1 & I, so considering numbers as "N" and letters as "L", the sequence should be N N N N N N L N N N N L N L N N.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
159 posts
563 reviews
5. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

We bought our tickets from ticket-MachuPicchu.com. I know that's not the official website & the price is slightly more, but it was easy to book & reliable. The website was suggested to us by the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge so I felt comfortable booking.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
6. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

I would ask your accommodation if you continue to have problems, many will get it for you for less then these ticket sites, we do this regularly for our guest that have problems.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

Thankyou everyone who replied I have now managed to get a HP ticket for 7am on date I wanted but missed out on the 10am. I got my visa verified in case that was the issue but on reading above I was putting correct reservation number in but was copying and pasting number(I always checked and it was displaying correct number) rather then free typing as I thought this would ensure I had correct number as reduces transcription errors. Once I entered using free text it then took me to the Visa Payment section. So I think the issue is and to save anyone else reading having the same issue DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE RESERVATION NUMBER. It must be entered in by free text.

Another useful tip for future buyers if you have ability when you go to print ticket print to PDF or take a screen dump of ticket if you want to keep an electronic copy of ticket as a backup.

I'm happy I now get the chance to live my dream and little glitches like these add to the adventure of travel planning :)

Also discovering and using Trip Advisor is providing me with a wealth of knowledge and experience at my finger tips. Thanks

Orlando, Florida
1 post
8. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

We are arriving cusco at 5 am , is there a train we can get to Aguas calientes? We would like to spend night there before going up. Is this possible or should we stay the night in olientabo? My spelling may be incorrect, sorry.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

For tilepro2002 - you can get trains to Aguas Calientes from Cusco (well Poroy actually) or Ollantayambo. More options from Ollantayambo. Try websites PeruRail or Inca Rail. If you can access a PC there is a good area for Frequently Asked Questions with a lot of information but you can't view via Phone App. You can stay in Aguas Caliente and there are hotel/b&b and other options for accommodation in trip advisor. Hope that is helpful.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
10. Re: Trouble booking Machu Picchu tickets

tilepro2002 - I would recommend seeing some sites on the way to Ollantaytambo, considering the arrival time I would do the Cochahuasi Animal sanctuary, Pisac, Inkariy Museum and Ollantaytambo on the way, but you could also do Chinchero, the Salt mines of Maras, and Moray, with the first option the 7pm Peru Rail works well and for the second route the 4:36pm Inka Rail train works well.

There is not much sense in making a beeline to Aguas Calientes, might as well see some sites on the way, then depending on your return plan, you may be able to see what you didn't when going to Ollantaytambo the first day.