We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is machu picchu pet friendly?

new jersey
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is machu picchu pet friendly?

hi... i am planing to go to peru in june...i want to hike the inca trail and i was wondering if i can bring my dog with me... he is a little teacup chihuahua.. he is only 4 punds he is full grown... and whenever i go out with him i keep him in a dog carrier... can i do that or there is no way i can bring my dog?

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is machu picchu pet friendly?

Got say this is a bizzare one. Although the inca trail is now fairly easy compared to many trails in peru, this is still a very mountainous and semi jungle area. The trail involves walking for 4 days up and down a LOT of steps. While he may only be 4lb's i think you would very quikly tire (I climb a fair bit and i would soon be tired after half a day!!!). Walking him on that terrain would probably kill him. Also have you checked out the quarantine regulations for Peru and back into the US??? It may not even be possible to take him into the country?

My advice would be to leave him at home.

new jersey
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: is machu picchu pet friendly?

hi...well thanks for answering... well i was cheking with the airline yeah i can travel with my dog... i will ask a vet if he might die... i wont make him walk for 4 days he is so little i always carry him or he always stays in the dog carrier... and yeah i will get very very tired of walking i dont really know what to do he'll die if i leave him at home too... and i dont even know if i will be allow to go into machupicchu with the dog... i am asking before i travel i dont want to have any problem and if i cant hike the inca trail with him then i guess i will just go like everybody taking the train... i was in cuzco in january i saw many people with their dog in saccsaihuaman (i dont know if i spelled it right, sorry) well just asking...

new jersey
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: is machu picchu pet friendly?

hi...well thanks for answering... well i was cheking with the airline yeah i can travel with my dog... i will ask a vet if he might die... i wont make him walk for 4 days he is so little i always carry him or he always stays in the dog carrier... and yeah i will get very very tired of walking i dont really know what to do he'll die if i leave him at home too... and i dont even know if i will be allow to go into machupicchu with the dog... i am asking before i travel i dont want to have any problem and if i cant hike the inca trail with him then i guess i will just go like everybody taking the train... i was in cuzco in january i saw many people with their dog in saccsaihuaman (i dont know if i spelled it right, sorry) well just asking...

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is machu picchu pet friendly?

You can bring yr dog but you will have plenty problems to take care of him as there are NO facilities for pets on the trail nor at the Cusco hotels.

You need permits to bring the dog into Lima and then to take him on the plane to Cusco.

I do not think the hazzle is worth it.