We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Topic
Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

I'm spending 2 weeks in Peru, with 4D3N hiking to MP, visits to Puno and Colca Canyon.

1) Is vaccination necessary? Which type?

2) What is the weather like at this time? How cold is it there now? I mean, what's the highest and the lowest temp?

3) where can I avail of laundry services?

4) Where can I have my US/CAD money changed?

5) how much is the cost of a regular meal?

6) what tip can you advise to prevent or manage food poisoning? ( I read some write ups about this happening)

Thank you,

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

1. depends on what you already have.. check with travel medical clinic, your doctor, cdn gov web site..probably, hepatitis, typhoid, polio, tetanus, no yellow fever unless you are going to the jungle

2. check www.wunderground.com click on trip planner for historical data re temp

3.wherever you are staying or just down the street in almost everyplace.. laundry service fast, very cheap

4.order some Nueve Soles in canada before you go(either your bank or currency xchange places.. allow 1 week to get soles) then use ATM's when in Peru they are everywhere and some will give you currency in either soles or US$

5. depends on where you eat... we had some wonderful meals for about $10US perperson including wine..also had some great lunches for about $2

6. take Cipro with you just in case..ALWAYS drink bottled water..even use it to brush your teeth..eat at places that look reasonable or are recommended by your hotel/hostel..peel things..skip the lettuce (which there's not much of anyway!)

njoy Peru it's wonderful

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

Thank you traveller 047,

i remember having hepa vaccine years ago. But i'm thinking of the tetanus vaccine. is it still advisable, i'd be leaving for peru on saturday... quite close already. are there reactions?... how is the sanitation there in Peru?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

If you haven't had tetanus in last 10 years I would get one..I have never had a reaction. There are quite a few Travel medical clinics in Vancouver..also in Peru you can by local altitude sickness medication caled Soroche which one of us used with great success.

Peru is relatively clean..at least in my opinion...I have been to Africa twice and Peru is MUCH better. As long as you take reasonable care where/what you eat it will be fine...probably as many problems here if you go someplace like the nightmarket!

Be sure to take some imodium with you, get a prescription for CIPRO in the event of really bad problems and also take some excedrine migraine or tylenol extra strength with you for headache.

mostly drink LOTS ( 2-3litres)of water everyday..seemed to be the best for altitude.Bottled water easily avaiable

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

Thank you.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

a seer : I see that traveller has answered all of yr questions, so I can only add a recommendation to read the Peru inside pages on this forum for lots of extra info.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

Most hotels have laundry service, no problem and it's cheap.

I tried buying Peruvian Soles before I went but was too late (had to order them). There was an ATM right in the airport. The currency exchange place will likely be closed but the ATM worked just fine. I found one right near the currency exchange counter, got money before I got my luggage...you can withdraw soles or USD. I'd suggest always having some USD on you (for major things eg. flight over Nazca is $40 USD), but mostly you'll need soles. I believe the Visa network is more readily accepted than Mastercard network when it comes to ATMs. You can get buy with Mastercard, it's just a little harder to find ATMs.

When I was there (2 years ago) a meal was about 20 soles...and it's about 3 soles for 1 USD. Keep away from any fruit and veggies that can't be peeled. Stay away from dairy unless you know it's been pasturized. Bottled water can be found everywhere.

You can buy a little bottle of Purell or any other alcohol hand sanitizer. Also, a little advice (especially if you're female), bring along a little zip lock baggie and keep some toilet paper in it. You'll run into public toilets that won't provide t.p., so it's good to have your own stash (don't flush it, throw it away...plumbing isn't very good). You're hotels will all have t.p.

7. Re: Vaccination, weather, laundry, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 24, 2009