We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

Trying to buy Machu Picchu tickets online for May 2015. The ticket website (machupicchu.gob.pe) is showing no tickets available. How far in advance can you buy Machu Picchu tickets? Can you buy a two day entrance ticket to Machu Picchu or do you have to buy two one day tickets? We would like to enter Machu Picchu in the afternoon and then go back first thing the next morning. Is it better to buy tickets from the official Machu Picchu website listed above or have a travel agent buy the tickets? Thanks!!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
515 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

If you do a search on this forum there has been some previous discussions about buying tickets for 2015. To summarize those discussions, tickets for 2015 will not be available to purchase until December of 2014.

Most people think it is good to book your tickets several months in advance, especially if going May-September.

You cannot buy two-day tickets, you will need to buy two single-day tickets.

You can book tickets with an agent to save yourself some hassle with the website, but you will certainly pay more that way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18,210 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

Agree with everything post 1 said with one small change. You only need to buy months in advance if you are hiking the Inca Trail. If you want to hike Huayana Picchu, a few weeks in advance is sufficient. If you are just visiting MP, even a few days in advance is OK.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
487 reviews
3. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

Blackjack2001. I contacted the officials as we are visiting very early january 2015 and were unable to buy tickets. They replied saying they will not be available until late december 2014. Bit unfortunate to have to buy air tickets, accommodation and plan without tickets to the main attraction.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
4. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

Has anyone ever used either of the websites below? We are trying to find a reputable online travel agency and these three keep coming up, but i cant find any reviews on them anywhere. Not sure whether to trust them or not. Some of them say they email you the tickets and some say you make your reservation through them and go to the gov't website www.machupicchu.gob.pe and then enter your code and print the tickets. I know you can sometimes buy them on that site, but it seems as if scores of people have trouble, so i am looking at other options.

- http://www.ticket-machupicchu.com/

- http://ticketmachupicchu.com/

- http://www.machupicchuticket.com/

thanks for any insight!!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
964 posts
1,093 reviews
5. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

Poppynz --

I sympathize with your situation but, sadly, the Peruvian gov't does not seem terribly concerned that their ticketing policies inconvenience and worry independent travelers. If you are using a local agency, they certainly will have the necessary contacts to make sure you get into MP. But even without agency's help, I'd be very surprised if you have any problems getting a ticket. I've yet to read a story about a traveler who's showed up in Aguas Calientes and was told "sorry, you can't visit MP." And since you're going off-season, they're not going to be "full" anyway.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
487 reviews
6. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

what local agencies for purchase of MP tickets are reputable in Olly. As we are heading directly there, rather than cuzco?

7. Re: Questions about Machu Picchu Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 13, 2015