We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risk of train delay due to landslides

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Risk of train delay due to landslides

My husband and I will be travelling through Peru in November 2006, and also want to do the short Inca Trail Cusco <-> Machu Picchu.

According to my original plan, we would have a flight onwards in the morning after returning by train from Aquas Calientes. I've heared a few times that train from Aquas Calientes back to Cuzco are often delayed due to landslides, leaving the tourists stranded for some time. My question now is: can anyone tell me how high the risk of train delays due to landslides is, i.e. is it unwise to have a flight the very next day after the trip?

Many thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
South America
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,643 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Risk of train delay due to landslides

To predict a landslide is as difficult as predicting an earthquake.The landslides occur if their is to much rain in an area.They happen during the rainy season. Probably the same happens in Austria during winter time if it snows to much.

I do not think your risk is high. Go ahead and book yr flight as planned, you will be unable to forsee all unplanned events.If they happen, a solution will be found anyway.

Enjoy yr trip.

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Risk of train delay due to landslides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 16, 2009