We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunizations

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Immunizations

The CDC advises we get hepatitis A. Typhoid and tetnus shots. I've never been out of the US. Anyone have any advise on getting or not getting these?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Immunizations

Hep A&B and Typhoid are a very good idea.

Rabies is going a bit over precation. You would need to get biten by a dog or maybe a rat or bat, which is very unlikely. If you do get bitten, then you can get the vaccine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Immunizations

I did not even know you could get a pre-emptive rabies vaccine.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Immunizations

Rabies? REALLY overkill. Do you plan on sleeping near vampire bats or petting stray dogs?

This is the CDC recommendation for rabies

Although rabies can be found in dogs, bats, and other mammals in Peru, it is not a major risk to most travelers. CDC recommends this vaccine only for these groups:

Travelers involved in outdoor and other activities in remote areas that put them at risk for animal bites (such as adventure travel and caving).

People who will be working with or around animals (such as veterinarians, wildlife professionals, and researchers).

People who are taking long trips or moving to remote areas in Peru

Children, because they tend to play with animals, might not report bites, and are more likely to have animal bites on their head and neck.

Edited: 4:39 pm, April 15, 2014
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Immunizations

Also a good idea to make sure you are current on Polio vaccine boosters.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Immunizations

I got the rabies shot because I'm going on a nine day trek to Machu Picchu and the doc and I both agreed it was a sensible precaution. I'll also be travelling to other countries in the next couple of years where it's a risk so it made sense to get the jab now.

16. Re: Immunizations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 18, 2015