We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

A friend and I will be travelling to Peru in July. We were hoping to do the 4 day trek to Machu Picchu, however we are finding ourselves tight for time and are looking into alternate trek options. We are considering the 2 day Inca trail option (really a one day hike) or the 3 day Huchuy Qosqo trek (and visiting MP on the 3rd day). I'd appreciate any thoughts on which trek would be more worthwhile - I've read that even the short Inca Trail version has more spectacular views, and it would be nice to hike up to MP, but the pictures I've seen of the HQ trek look beautiful as well, and it seems to be less packed with tourists than the Inca trail would be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

Can't offer comparison as only done 2/1 from km 104. It was very nice. Can do Huayna Pichu on second day to add to the challenge.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
59 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

If you go visa Loki or condor travel you can do a 3 day adventure trek and I couldn't have been more impressed. First day of bike riding and optional rafting, zip lining and walking the second day, then Machu Picchu the third day. For everything included (travel, food accommodation and all the activities) we payed $290. Not the cheapest 3 days you'll ever have but unforgettable. I've written lots more about it here, ask me for any more info! sensingsouthamerica.com/2014/…

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

It depends on what your interest is.

the 2 Day Inca Trail is basically 7 hours of hiking BUT you reach Machupicchu by walking and have the chance to take pics of Machupicchu in the afternoon with no much crowds.

Huchuy qosqo it is less touristy

In terms of views: boths treks are beautiful although doing the HQ trek you will be hiking at least 1000 m higher than the 2 Day IT so the views are even better (the Sacred Valley and the Vilcanota mountain range with snow caps are just amazing). Anyways the views you will see when visiting Machupicchu are quite similar to the ones on the 2 Day IT .

IT trek (chance to hike through the subtropical cloud forest)

HQ trek (you will trek among alpine lakes, mountains, as well as to local villages and lesser known Inca sites )

Ottawa, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

Thanks everyone for your input. We've actually changed our itinerary to do both the Huchuy Qosqo trek and the 2-D Inca Trail, so we'll get to experience both!

Davis, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

After doing both, which would you recommend? I'm looking to pick one of the two also!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

Hi, I was wondering how your hikes went?

7. Re: Inca trail 2 day trek or 3 day huchuy qosqo trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 02, 2015