We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

We are doing a 10 day tour on our own in April: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco and then back to Lima. We want to take the train from Sacred Valley (specifically Ollantaytambo) to Machu Picchu, spend the night in Aguas Calientes and then take an afternoon train back to Cusco. I understand that we need to purchase tickets ahead of time on the perurail site. Any tips on this leg of our trip? I'm assuming it would be best to take a morning train from Sacred Valley. The time tables on the perurail site for the return trip are a bit confusing. And what about the type of train - Vistadome or Expedition?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Yes, you need to purchase ahead of time. We went in May and several months ahead, some trains were already sold. April might be easier. Not sure why you think the times are confusing as it was pretty easy to read last time I looked. Maybe be a bit more specific? Obviously if you take an early train, you can get to MP earlier. That's the advantage of taking a morning train.

The peru rail website has pictures of the Vistadome and Expedition trains. We took one of each and personally, I would stick with the Expedition and save money. Vistadome has windows in the ceiling so you have a marginally (and it's very marginal) better view. You also get a sandwich rather than just a bag of chips and tea. The Vistadome has more comfortable seats. They're fairly similar to airplane seats whereas the Expedition has tables with two people on each side facing each other so you have less leg room. Although, on our train, once it started going, everyone stood up and moved around to take photos so it was not really an issue.

The other issue I had with Vistadome is they did a "fashion show" where the train attendants went up and down modeling Alpaca clothing to music and pressuring you to buy it. I'd have strongly preferred they let us watch the scenery in peace and the fact that we had to pay extra to get this experience was pretty annoying.

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Thank you! Your response to my question is very helpful.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

There is also Inka Rail

4. Re: Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 29, 2015