We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu in April

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu in April

I'm planning a trip with my 27 year old daughter ..we are both in great shape and are looking forward to trekking the Inca trail ..there are so many tour operators ..how do we find the best for a Middle aged woman who loves adventure ..who also appreciated luxury ..and a 27 year old

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu in April

Not a huge amount of difference, IMO. There are some agencies who purport to do a more "luxurious" trek -- but main difference seems to be toilet tents & porters are not an additional fee (just built into the higher fee charged). Maybe nicer tents? Face it, there is no real luxury on the Inca Trail. Save that for before or after the trek -- Cusco or Aguas Calientes (the Inkaterra Machu Picchu in AC is truly luxurious).

We trekked with Llama Path & thought they were great. Our group ranged in age from 20 to 70 (we were late middle-aged). LP guides allowed us to go at our own pace & didn't require staying together while trekking. The asst. guide brought up the rear of the group, Lead guide looped ahead & back to check on everyone often.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu in April

Thanks ..I'm looking into the hotel and group you mentioned ..one quick ? What do you mean by toilet tent ???

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu in April

The campgrounds along the Inca Trail have "toilet blocks," much like you would see at campgrounds anywhere, but no electricity, sinks are outside, and the individual stalls usually do not have any fixtures -- just a hole in the floor & a pull handle to flush. They will often be pretty nasty (some people have pretty bad "aim:). Headlamp is recommended if you want to use them at night.

Here is an example of a toilet tent --not sure what type a given company will have: amazon.com/gp/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu in April

oh no ..my worst fear! i rafted down the Colorado river and loved it..except for the "toilet situation" TMI.!!!.but i was afraid of that..:)

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu in April

Highly recommend headlamp, your own toilet paper (for elsewhere in Peru as well), and hand sanitizer.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Machu Picchu in April

There is an alternate, I have recently read of a company doing Salcantay treks where you sleep in cabins every night (no tents), and I imagine the toilets would be better. Don’t remember the name off hand but if I see it again I will post.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Machu Picchu in April

Found it

http://www.mountainlodgesofperu.com/home.html

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Machu Picchu in April

But it's not the Inca Trail!

(However,I will readily admit the toilet facilities are likely to be much better!)

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Machu Picchu in April

Yes redhead, I know it is not the Inca Trail, but if the interest is just in doing a trek, and not necessarily "the Inca Trail' then this would be a suitable option with better facilities, and from what I have heard it is a good trek with beautiful scenery.

10. Re: Machu Picchu in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 16, 2015