We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru 4 day travel advice

The Hague, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Peru 4 day travel advice

We will be in Peru for 4 days during 2nd week of December.

Day#1 -> Arrive @Lima late in the evening and stay there

Day#2 -> Take the 5:00 am flight to Cusco and stay there, visit Coricancha, Cathedral, Sacsayhuaman

Day#3 -> Travel to Ollantaytambo, to take the 05:07 or 06:10 train to Aguas Calientes (Is it possible to get a taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo to catch either of these trains?).

Spent the whole day at Machu Picchu and if possible see the sunset.Stay@Aguas Calientes

Day#4 -> Catch the first train to Ollantaytambo @5:35, Reach Ollantaytambo by 8:00 and take a taxi to Cusco, Visit Maras and Morey enroute Cusco. We have flight back to Lima @17:45

Is the above itinerary doable or I am i being over ambitious?

I read that the sun sets @22:00, is this true? So does mean that we will miss the sunset at Machu Picchu :(

Will it be better if we visit Maras and Morey on Day#3 enroute Ollantaytambo and then catch the train to Aguas Calientes and on Day#4 see sunrise@Machu Picchu (will it be possible as the sunrise rises earlier in December) and return to Cusco.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,790 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru 4 day travel advice

It is extremely ambitious and i think you will be tired. Remember Cusco is at 11,000 feet and many people have issues with the altitude.

But you can definitely do it. I would take a taxi to Ollanta at the end of day 2 instead of the next morning since you want to see the early train. I would also not consider sunset or sunrise really that spectacular. Remember these are mountains. The sun goes down out of view way before it sets. You don't get the spectacular colors of a sunset with a flat horizon. You might be better off taking a late train back to Ollanta that day if you are just trying to see sunset. At sunrise you can see the sun peak over the mountain but again no spectacular colors. If it's foggy you may see nothing except the mist clearing.

I would not try to see MP the same day as your leaving flight.

Edited: 9:32 am, November 02, 2013
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru 4 day travel advice

Where did you read that sunset time??? Peru is in the Tropics and the sun sets around 6pm all year round.

I agree with wes - stay in Ollan on day 2.

But stay in Cusco on the night of day 3 . Do the city tour on day 4, not day 2.

You will be very tired. Machu Picchu is in a cloud forest - all you may see is clouds not sunrises.....

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru 4 day travel advice

I would do something like.

Day1 - Lima

Day 2 - Early flight to Cusco, visit Maras, Moray, and Chinchero on the way to Ollantaytambo, Take a Late train to Aguas Calientes and stay the night there.

Day 3 - Full day at Machu Picchu, Evening train back to Ollantaytambo. Night in either Ollantaytambo or travel to Cusco and stat the night there.

Day 4 - Visit Cusco and catch late flight out.

This way your first night is at a lower altitude, and you will have a full day at MP (no loss to train travel). as mentioned above, you will not likely see much os a sun set, Machu Picchu closes at 17:30, since it is summer and the sun sets late, you will not likely see much color.

The decision of where to stay on day 3 can be based on two things, A night in Ollantaytambo will give you one additional night at a lower altitude, but spending the night in Cusco would give you more time there.

One note, while I am sure that peterscot was not referring to a group city tour, I do want to say this would not be a doable as they end about 18:30.

4. Re: Peru 4 day travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 05, 2014