We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

If you take the HB train can you take luggage or not? I keep reading conflicting reports. The Sanctuary Hotel apparently collects bags from the Vistadome train - but are there porters to help with suitcases from the HB train to the Sanctuary Hotel?

If we want to visit MP the following day do we need to stop at INC in Aqua Calientes to buy tickets or will we have to return to Aqua Calientes later that same day?

I've been wanting to do this trip since I was 8 and I'm now 52 and determined to do it in style - so we're going the HB train/Sanctuary route (which may be a mistake!) any tips or suggestions very gratefulyl received :-) Thanks heaps guys - from Taupo New Zealand

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

I am sure if you are going on the HB and staying at the Sanctuary hotel, you can take all the luggage you want. For the price they charge you, you should be able to take whatever you feel like.

You can buy yr entry ticket to MP right at the gate, you do not need to go to Aguas Calientes at all.

Have lots of fun.

I hope your trip turns out as nice as you have been wanting to.

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

I plan to stay one night at the Sanctuary in September and I e-mailed them with some questions. In the response e-mail, they told me to make sure to buy my ticket to Machu Picchu in Aguas Calientes before getting on the bus, as tickets could not be purchased at the gate anymore. This e-mail was from about 2 or 3 months ago. I have read conflicting information on this topic, perhaps they have changed the procedure recently. Anyway, it may be best to clarify where you need to purchase your entrance ticket shortly before the trip... or ask on the train itself. I plan to do so... I'd hate to ride the bus up to MP only to find out I need to return to AC to buy my tickets.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

I have just checked with the procedure, as I am presently in Urubamba.

Now the MP tickets are only sold in Aguas Calientes at the INC booth which is easily found. It is close to the train station and everybody knows it, just follow the crowd.

For the people that take the HB train, the entrance fee to MP is included on the fare. You are driven up to MP on a private bus and the tour guide is also included. The HB people take care of everything, which is the least you can expect for the huge price you are paying.

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

Thanks for that both of you! But my query is - that takes care of the first day but we're there for three - so as I'll be stuck with the tour I assume I won't be able to hold it up, zoom over to INC and buy tickets to cover days two and three - which means I'll have to go back later that same day to get more tickets for days two and three?

Also one more thought - is it true that there are areas within MP that need separate and extra tickets - like if you want to climb Huanya Pichu?

Thanks again . . .

5. Re: MP via Hiram Bingham train staying 3 days at Sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 15, 2009