We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking Poles Questions.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
565 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking Poles Questions.

Hi everyone,

I am getting mixed information if we are allowed trekking poles at Machu Picchu or not.

We are not doing the Inca trail. We will do the Sun Gate and Inca Bridge. My husband does have a bad knee and we bought Leki trackable trekking poles. Are we allowed to use them?

Also, can someone advise me if these can be brought in a carry-on bag on American Airlines and LAN airlines?

Much appreciate and thank you.

Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

I have the same questions...any answer would be appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

You're allowed to have them on the Inca Trail, but inside the Machu Picchu city area, you are not. We had to leave ours with the guide outside. Not sure if that has changed. Anyone know?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,498 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

With rubber tips you should have no problems whatsoever

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
800 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

There we're definitely people with trekking poles inside Machu Picchu. We saw several people who had them when we were climbing Huayna Picchu.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
565 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

Hi everybody:

Yes we have rubber tips.Has anyone been there lately and can confirm if we can use them? Also the second part of my question if we are allowed to bring them in our carry-on?

Thanks

New York, NY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

The official rule according to my trip on 9/23: You are only allowed _to use_ trekking poles, canes, crutches in Machu Picchu if you need assistance.

So your husband with a bad knee should be ok. According to my guide: Some people will put their poles in their bags and then use them when they are out of the main MP grounds, but that is bending the rules a little bit (e.g., Huayna Picchu or Inca Bridge).

As for carry-on, ski poles are not permitted. They may consider trekking poles, even collapsible ones, part of the ski pole family. It's not an airline issue -- it's an airport security issue (e.g,. TSA for the US).

I packed them in my checked luggage this past trip.

Edited: 1:51 pm, October 04, 2013
7. Re: Trekking Poles Questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 06, 2014