We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

Hello everyone,

I know you can buy tickets for the train & Machu Picchu online. However, I haven't been able to find out how far in advance you can do this. We're planning a trip for May 17th.

From all the postings regarding the difficulty in getting the MP tickets online from the government website, I would like to attempt at least to get them as soon as they are available, giving myself plenty of time. I didn't see any tickets available for purchase after December 31st.

Question#1: how far in advance are the train & MP tickets available for purchase?

Question#2: If you buy your train tickets online, do you have to exchange them for an actual boarding ticket at the station beforehand?

Question#3: If yes to above, can you exchange them the night before? We will be staying in Ollantaytambo.

Question#4: If you buy your MP tickets online & print them out, do you still have to exchange them for an actual ticket at the INC office in Cusco or Aguas Calientes before going up to MP?

Sorry for so many questions, but after all the research, I'm not sure if the information out there is still valid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Twee

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

1) You will most likely have to wait until the year flips to Jan 2014 to buy the tickets.

2) Unless its changed you get an email and print out your passes and just show them when boarding the train.

4) We bought ours in person in Cusco so I cant answer this.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

Yes, sometime in January when the new prices are set for MP. Possibly a bit earlier for Peru Rail.

If you are going round trip from Ollantaytambo you can also use www.incarail.com, they have offices in Ollantaytambo.

I was never able to get the website to work and just bought my tickets in person in Aguas Calientes when I arrived (for Huayna Picchu you should buy ahead though).

Edited: 11:49 am, August 20, 2013
3. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, August 21, 2013
Edited: 1:35 pm, August 21, 2013
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

Another person posting a bunch of clickable links...or the same one?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

Hmm, tried to answer your question but for some reason I got flagged as spam? I guess because I included a link to a website that gives instructions on buying tickets online, that I found helpful when I couldn't get the site to work. I'll try again, hopefully this time whoever flagged me will actually click the link and realize it's not a spammy website that is trying to sell anything, and I'm just trying to be helpful...

1. You will have to wait until 2014 to buy MP tickets for May.

2. You will have to exchange your tickets at either the train station or the PeruRail office before boarding the train. Be sure to bring the credit card you bought them with, as this is how they verify your tickets and may not let you board without it.

3. Yes, you can exchange them the day before.

4. You will not have to exchange your MP tickets if you buy them online. I'll try again to post the instructions on how to buy them, hopefully I don't get flagged again: visitingmachupicchu.com/getting-to-machu-pic…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

We had our hotel buy our train tickets for us and then we did not have to exchange them anywhere. The hotel emailed the boarding pass to us and we printed it out and showed it when we got on the train. Yes, they charge a small fee, but it made it easy.

7. Re: How early can you buy train & Machu Picchu tickets online?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 23, 2014