We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu--Best time of year?

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
378 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu--Best time of year?

When is the best time of year to go to Machu Picchu and would that also be the ideal time to visit the Galapagos?

We are a fairly large group of 10 people traveling together. Should we just use a local travel agent down there to arrange transportation, accomodations, tours, etc., or use an agent in our local area (Washington State)? If going local down there, any recommendations?

Also, how much time would you recommend for touring in and around Machu Picchu and Galapagos?

Any recommended guidebooks?

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu--Best time of year?

In the Galapagos Islands I highly recommend that you go on a 7 or 8 day cruise, not one of the 3 day cruises. You will not see much in only 3 days and the islands are all individually very unique. I also recommend a smaller ship (but that's my preference to avoid crowds). While I was there, I also heard that some ships book both the 7 day and 3 day tours at the same time, in which case, you stop in the middle and lose a whole day disembarking and boarding different groups. Make sure your ship does not do this.

If you book in the states, I actually arranged my whole Ecuador trip (Galapagos & the Amazon) through REI Adventures. If you're from Washington, I'm sure you know REI.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,562 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu--Best time of year?

If you are going to use 8 days for Galapagos, I would say you will need another week for Peru.

2 days Lima

4 days Cusco and MP

1 day rtn to Lima and rtn to USA.

In Peru you can use a local travel agency : www.peruchasquitur.com.pe

Cusco is great around September. Less crowds and no rainy season yet. And less colder. Make yr reservations now.

I would also recommend you stay in the Sacred Valley to better aclimatize. In a group of 10, a few are bound to get altitude sickness.

See Tripadvisor forum for recommended Hotels in the Sacred Valley.

3. Re: Machu Picchu--Best time of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 15, 2009