We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket

I'm going to Machu Pichu next week but can't pinpoint dates. Do you think trains will book out if I don't book ahead?

cordobesa
Level Contributor
858 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket

Don't have either tickets for Machu Picchu??

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket

I haven't bought my train tickets or Machu Pichu tickets.....too risky?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket

Next week? Yup, extremely risky. I hope you are taking into account that you are going during the high season.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket

Thank you for your quick replies. There is more than one train company isn't there? Do they limit the number of visitors each day to MP?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket

There are two train companies, inca rail and peru rail. Yes, they limit the amount of mp tickets available each day.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket

At this point about half the Peru Rail trains are sold out for a week from now. Inca Rail has better availability but more limited times. I found the Inca Rail system easier to manage than Peru Rail.

Go to www.perurail.com or www.incarail.com

You won't be able to climb Huayna Picchu, those are all sold out.

Probably best to buy the MP ticket either now online, or when you arrive in Cusco. Waiting until you get to Aguas Calientes is a bit risky.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket

Thank you very much for your help.

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticket

My husband and I are going to MP from Ollan on Monday Oct 28th, should we buy the ticket now for both train and MP or wait? The only reason for train to wait is I am not sure what time in the morning to go they have a 5,6 and 7 am and not sure when to come back since we have to come back the same day and tak ethe train from Ollan to cusco and spend monday night in Cisco

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticket

I'm a believer in reserving ahead. You know what day you're going. What are you gaining by waiting? Why not book ahead instead of worrying that you'll get to the train station and the train you want will be sold out. Any of those morning trains will work. It's really a matter of how early you want to get up vs. how much time you want onsite. I could see waiting if your plans were uncertain and you were not sure when you'd be there, but it sounds like you've got a specific day picked out already.

Coming back, you can take the train to Ollantaytambo and then catch a collectivo or taxi from the train station to Cusco. There are many more options this way than taking the train all the way to Cusco, so it will be faster. Figure 90 minutes for the train ride and 90 minutes for the collectivo or taxi.

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticket

Thanks so much