We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

On 16th Oct 2013 my wife and I are booked on the Taste of Peru 11 dy tour with the Adventure Co.This takes in Lima/Puno/Cusco/Sacred Valley/MP . We have no idea what to expect!

Has anyone had any experience of this company or this particular trip?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

We've not been on this trip with The Adventure Company but have been on 3 other ones with them (North Cyprus, Costa Rica & Madagascar). They tend to be very efficiently run, normally using a local travel company with a local guide. The trips tend to be quite full on - plenty of early mornings! Groups are quite mixed in ages with singles & couples and normally a good time is had by all.

We're actually off to Peru at the start of November with Exodus which is a sister company to the Adventure Company - both part of the TUI group.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Thanks for the info - have a good holiday.

If anyone has done the 7 hour bus journey from Puno to Cusco I'd be interested in a report on it.

We could pay extra to go by train if bus journey is not up to much.

However I'm being told train isn't much quicker - which seems difficult to believe!

Also wondering about hotel standard -assume central heating of sorts?

Steve

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Don't know about that company but on our independently planned trip using mid range hotels, usually around 250 soles a night, not one had central heating. All had space heaters in the rooms. We went in may. It was a little cold at night but really not bad.

The train is slow. It's for tourists to see the view, not for quick transportation.

Edited: 4:57 pm, July 21, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Not one of the hotels we stayed in when we were in Peru had central heating -- even luxury level ones. All had space heaters, one or two had two space heaters! However, you will have plenty of warm blankets or down duvets.

The train actually takes longer than the bus, but it's a very nice, luxurious trip. The train is reminiscent of the Orient Express, and service is top-notch.

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Thanks for this -I'm tempted to take the train from Puno -even if it is longer (10 Hrs?)

But we are booked on a 7 hour bus journey -can no one tell me if that journey is a pain?

I'm concerned that it's either boring or very uncomfortable!

Anyone done this bus trip ? (Puno/Cusco 7hrs)

Steve

Paris, France
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

I believe the train is five times as expensive as InkaExpress bus. Too expensive and takes 10 hours...

The bus you mentioned is Cruz del Sur, if it is 7 hours? We took Cruz del Sur over night bus at a different location (9 hours) and it was very comfortable. The best bus company in Peru. But if it Curz del Sur, it should be an overnight bus and you will not see beautiful scenery...

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

Having a few restless nights with concerns about Altitude sickness on this trip - can anyone tell me how geared up the hotels and leaders are to cope with such problems?

Also wondering how common it is to get a serious version of this sickness?

Many articles seem to suggests its like a hangover and often lasts only the first 24 hrs at altitude - but is this just the travel industry playing it down? I have slight Asthma but I am hoping that is not particularly a problem.There also seems mixed advice on whether to take tablets in advance to help prevent problems.

I keep telling my wife that I don't read of many people having serious problems but her concerns are beginning to affect me too.

Any help on what to expect would be gratefully received - especially on the help available.

Thanks

Steve

Edited: 3:50 am, July 31, 2013
8. Re: Anyone been to Manchu Picchu with adventure Company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 02, 2014