We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help and advice on Peru itinerary

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
montreal, quebec
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help and advice on Peru itinerary

Hello

I know this is quite early but since I'm planning on getting a head start on booking the Inca trail next August ( before it gets all booked out) and will have to send in a specific date, I would like your opinions.

We are a family with 2 teenage boys.

So far, this is what I have based on other posts: the Gringo trail..

day 1: fly out

2: get into Arequipa

3 and 4: visit and acclimatize

5: bus to Colca (overnight Colca)

6: stay in Colca (overnight Colca)

7: 4M bus to Puno

8: island tour

9: go to and overnight on Uros

10: bus to Cuzco

11 and 12: visit Cuzco

13,14,15,16: Inca trail then overnight at MP lodge ( getting in in pm; sort of the 5 day trek)

17:visit MP and train to Olly

18,19: visit SV

20:visit SV and bus to Cuzco

21:fly home

I might have to cut off a day to get home earlier (school starts early).

If so, where should I cut ?

If not, any changes you would make?

Thanks all

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

Couple of places I might cut if needed

You could drop a night in Arequipa

You could drop a night in Colca

Drop one of the first two days in Cusco.

On day 19 return to Cusco after finishing the tour.

Regardless of what other changes you make, I recommend flying Cusco to Lima the day before your international flight home.

Edited: 12:04 pm, May 22, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

I would cut one day in Colca Canyon. The tour of the Colca Canyon itself and the condor lookout is extremely interesting and with fantabulous views and picturesque villages, but one day would allow you to see all that. We booked Colca Canyon tour with Killawasi Lodge in Yanque and they arranged tour from of canyon and all transportation between Puno and Arequipa. They can arrange for this one night tour in each direction - see website www.killawasilodge.com )

Cusco needs several days - a lot of history and major sites to visit. We just completed 19 day tour (going in reverse direction and starting in Sacred Valley) It was one of our best trips ever!!.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

In August very few flights are delayed as the weather is not a problem. You do not need to fly to,Lima one day ahead of your planned flight to the USA,unless you want to spend some time in Lima city which is a great idea.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

Not all delays are due to weather. It can be equipment failure or the airlines cancelling flights for cost savings.

If you have all of your flights on one airline one ticket that is less of a problem, otherwise you are looking at a very expensive decision when missing a short connection.

BTW TACA has announced that they are dropping their Costa Rica to Lima flight in July when they become AviancaTACA. I don't know if they will drop any of the money-making legs to Cusco, but it's always a good idea to keep checking flight schedules as your travel dates approach.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

One suggestion - you have now direct bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno. The whole service is run by the owner of one of the hotels, which is located just across the police on the main square in Chivay (can't remember the name right now). It's very convenient, because you don't have to get back to Arequipa and do the whole Colca loop on your own basically, using local resources (transport and accommodation). If you don't plan to stay with local family and practice a bit of ecotourism (turismo vivencial for example in Sibayo - fantastic) and you don't plan any longer trekking, I guess 1 night would be sufficient.

I'm not sure how about overnight at Uros, but I had a great obernight stay on Taquile. Highly recommended. You can visit Uros on the way.

As far as adding one extra day in Cuzco, I agree, but don't spend it in the city - you can do a half-day rafting or spend more time in SV.

I'm sure it will be fabilous!

K.

seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

We are planning two nights with Killawasi and their 'tour", why do you recommend one night?

Were the meals expensive?

7. Re: Help and advice on Peru itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 20, 2015