We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WOODSTOCK
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

We will be in Ecuador for a month starting in early October, and are thinking of a trip to Machu Picchu. However, we've learned it is the rainy season? Should we forget the idea?

United States
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

- Rainy Season in Peru starts around November and finishes around April, so it would be the beginning of the rainy season.

- Rains in the Peruvian Andes and Jungle are mostly intermittent shower. It rains for a while then the sun comes out and the it might rain again. It´s not endless rain like monsoon season in South India.

- Even when its raining Machu Picchu is accessible and worth the visit!

- The only time when you MIGHT have rain problems and should always be well informed of the weather is during the end of the rainy season (end of January onward), when the ground's already saturated and mudslides sometimes happen blocking roads or the railway.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

Mp an be visited year round, and its always worth it.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

Definitely worth it. I was there for two weeks during Xmas holidays and on only one day was rain a real bother. The atmospheric effects of the mist around MP made for great photography. It cleared up later in the morning so I got the "classic" views you see in all the postcards.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

While it is accessible and worth the trip even during the rainy season, if you have a choice between Nov & Dec, I would choose Nov as there will be less chance of rain then.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

Hi, I went to Peru Late October last year (19th to 31st) and only had one rainy day.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

Rainy season differs every year, you never know. A few years ago I was in the Andes in early-mid November and there had been some big rainstorms in October. Another year I went in January and only had one day of rain.

7. Re: Worth visiting Machu Picchu in Oct or early Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 25, 2014