We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

Hi,

This is a hugely general questions so apologises!

My partner is unable to make our annual summer holiday this year due to work commitments so I thought I'd take advantage of having two weeks to tick something off my bucket list- being Machu Picchu!

As a first time-solo traveller, I'm anxious to be in safe hands with a tour operator and, due to my limited time in Peru, anxious to have a fairly planned itinerary.

I am looking to hike the trail and am not afraid of a challenge or camping (I did Kilimanjaro last year) but, whilst in the city/ cities would rather be in a safer part of town and hotel.

Can anyone recommend tour operators/ itineraries/ advice?

Huge questions I realise!

To put into context, I have seen these tours which all appeal for one reason or another:

actionchallenge.com/… (includes flight so know what I'm paying immediately, has UK and has medic which sounds a bit OTT but we had a terrible time with illness- others, not me- at Kili and the medical help was shocking)

qente.com/ingles/expeditions/choque_mapi.html (looks a bit alternative to standard trek but doesn't seem to finish the hike in Machu Picchu by entering the Sun Gate, which is surely part of the experience?)

www.chimuadventures.com/tour/andes-and-amazon (because, hey, if I'm going to Peru, I might as well visit the Amazon!)

Any advice or comments welcome!

Thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

There are a ton of trip reports on here so that is a good jumping off place to see what matches what you like. Start browsing them and start of list of potential groups/companies that suit you. The ones you've listed above probably have several references on here from people who have already used them (as opposed to folks who are just prepping the trip, like yourself).

You've come to the right place, I can't imagine a better resource for information for visiting Perú than this forum.

Edited: 8:38 am, February 03, 2013
jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

~~I can't imagine a better resource for information for visiting Perú than this forum.~~

andeantravelweb.com

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

I agree with Emintx, do some checking into locations and companies on TA, there is plenty of information to be found here.

My opinion has always been to do as much myself as possible, but I can understand your concerns about traveling alone. As I recently helped a guest plan a trip I do have some information to offer as to pre-trip service and price. Please note neither myself nor the guest utilized the services as they decided to do the trip on their own due to cost.

This particular guest had a 12 day Itinerary for two that was fairly detailed, as they had done their research and knew what they wanted to see and do. Included in the Itinerary were a 2 day Machu Picchu tour, The Sacred Valle, Lake Titicaca, and some off the beaten path sights to name a few.

Out of 15 companies contacted, many of them recommended on TA, only 5 actually responded (maybe due to the detail of her request). The prices quoted ranged from $850.20/pp (including domestic airfare) for her to do it by herself, all the way up to $2,899.00/pp (no airfare included).

The best price that she was given was from Peru Trek 4 Good, which not only managed to include all the sights she was interested in, but they did the best job communicating and making sure they understood her needs. Their quote for this trip was $1,490.00/pp without the Domestic flight.

So for overall price and pre-trip service, I would recommend Peru Trek 4 Good, as they have many good recommendations on TA, they would probably be a good bet, but I would be sure to include a few others when you start to look for pricing.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

I would start immediately with planning out a day by day itinerary yourself.

Book your Inca Trail trek with one of the recommended operators. Llama Path gets fairly good reviews. Ask if they can help with other parts of your itinerary.

In Lima, you can book your own hotel (I love 3B Barranco), they can send a driver for your airport pickup . You really do not need a travel agent for this part of your itinerary. There are a number of tour agencies in Lima. Try ww.limaeasy.com for details and links to agencies.

5. Re: Solo female traveller- totally overwhelmed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014