We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which train?

Florida
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which train?

I was originally planning on taking the Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu train, staying the night in Aguas Caliente and then taking the train from Machu Picchu to Cusco. Would it be better to take the train back to Ollantaytambo and then a taxi to Cusco? If so, how much would a taxi from the train station in Ollantaytambo to Cusco be? Thanks for your help!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which train?

bren, you have to take both a train to get to Aguas Calientes and then a bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu

It is explained in www.andeantravelweb.com

Most airlines want you at the airport 2 hours before your flight to Cusco. Maybe a little less if you have a boarding pass.

Have never stayed at Manhattan, read the reviews and that should have information from other travelers about their taxis etc.

Edited: 7:23 pm, January 17, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which train?

Oops, mlgb beat me to it. This is what I was typing when mlbg answered:

I can answer a couple of questions for you.

There is not a bus *versus* train option. You can only reach Aguas Calientes by train or by hiking the Inca Trail. Aguas Calientes is the village at the base of Machu Picchu. There are NO roads leading to Aguas Calientes, only train tracks (or the Inca Trail). The bus takes you up the mountain from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu itself. The only other way is by walking up a steep uphill (mostly steps & crossing the road switchbacks) that isn't very interesting.

So, you take the train to Aguas Calientes. Choices are from Cusco or from Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley (get to Olly by taxi or bus). Once you are in Aguas Calientes, you take the bus up the mountain (20 minutes, $17 or $18 roundtrip).

I would say generally that you will have hot water in your hotels. Perhaps if you post the particular hotels, others on the forum can advise you about the hot water issue.

When you leave your luggage ANYWHERE, don't leave anything of high value, like money, computer, iPod, etc. Lock your luggage, anyway. Most hotels don't keep it in your room -- they keep it in a luggage storage closet (presumably locked).

Yes, you should be at the airport at least an hour in advance for your Cusco flight -- really whatever time your airline recommends is what you should do.

Definitely pose your questions to Yure Chavez. That is part of what you are paying him for.

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

Edited: 7:45 pm, January 17, 2013
13. Re: Which train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 19, 2014