We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
270 reviews
Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Hi

I have been trying to purchase Machu Picchu tickets, about 15 times, from the official site:http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ over the past 4 days with the screen not progressing to Step 3, even when I wait and wait and wait. The little clock comes up for about 3 seconds and dissappears then the screen remains blank showing the step 2 and Step 3 boxs empty.

I have tried during the day here (Australia) when it is the middle of the night in Peru so the site should not be that busy.

Australian passports have a letter at the front of the number so I don't know if that is what is causing problems.

What does the first message in the grey box say when you first open the webpage, as it is not in English I can't read it.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks

Pam

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
41. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

I purchased tickets thru www.ticket-machupicchu.com. It was no problem and I was able to use a credit card. the tickets were emailed to me in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I paid more but I wanted them for my son's birthday and did not want to navigate the confusion of the official site.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
985 posts
104 reviews
42. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Has anyone purchased the tickets successfully the last couple of days? I had to call my bank to get "Verified By Visa" enabled. I then tried to pay, and the transaction seem to make it to my bank, but was declined. I had the bank on the phone, and he saw the decline and made another change. But after that, all subsequent attempts failed, never seem to get the re-direct to the bank.

Anyone with similar experience? The bank suggest maybe I wait another 24 hours?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
43. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

You might email the Call Center and see what they say. But it does seem that there have been more problems reported recently.

Contact us at 51- 084582030. We will be happy to help you, and answer the questions. Hours of availability: Monday to Friday of 06:00 to 21:00hr. Saturday of 07:00 to 13:00 hr

Write us by email callcenter@drc-cusco.gob.pe

If you decide to go with an agency to purchase your ticket, be very careful. There is one in particular where many problems have been reported.

Try this agency if you give up, they seem to respond quickly.

www.pachatusantrek.com/english/testimonials

Also, unless you need Huayna Picchu tickets, you should be okay to wait and buy them in Aguas Calientes.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
44. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Pam, I live here and this is like much of Peruvian life -- overly complicated by bureaucracy. My best advice to friends and family is to go through a tour company locally (say, Cusco or Ollantaytambo) and have them make the arrangements re: train, trail tix, Aguas Calientes, bus tix to Machu Picchu , and entry tix to the park. Good luck.

- Marcus

Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
35 reviews
45. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

This is what they are posting in their replies on their FB page (facebook.com/pages/…):

"

Dear ______, My apologies for that inconvenient but at the moment onlines payments can only be performed with VISA card system associated Verified by Visa, Please check with your bank if your card has this system, (however, due to security concerns, not all the cards are accepted). Unfortunately we have problems with online payments for High Season.

I suggest, if you have already employed a hotel o some service in Cusco they are able to help you to purchase your ticket. Another option is to contact to some travel agency. On our website www.machupicchu.gob.pe - Consultas (Queries) you can see the list of the travel agency.

If you want to visit Huaynapicchu you need buy your tickets with 3 to 2 weeks in advance, because we are in high season (May to August).

Remember that you have 6 hours to make the payment or your reservation is cancelled. The ticket is only valid on the date printed on the ticket, once you purchase the ticket there is not a refund neither change of date nor change of information.

If you have any question, write us.

"

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
46. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

hey guys, so i was able to make it to step 3 (going on the Spanish language version) and got a reservation code. Then went to "Pagos" tab and paid and got to what looked like a confirmation page where they said my "payment was successful" in big yellow letters. that page did not link back to the main site, it seemed like it was just a page for printing out the payment confirmation. Anyway, i just wanted to ask if there is anything more I need to do for these tickets?? It seemed that I paid - is that it? When I arrive at Machu Picchu, do i just present my reservation tickets (the PDF file one that you got initially after you finished Step 3)? Or was I supposed to get another set of tickets after payment was confirmed? Thanks for the help!

London, United...
1 post
47. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Hey there

Just did exactly the same - now you need to go to the Check In tab on the website, enter your reservation code and then click the "Ticket Print" button. This opens up a flash window with the actual individual tickets for each of your party with barcodes on etc. Just click the print icon and Bob's your uncle :)

Ian

48. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 11, 2013
San Francisco...
1 post
49. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

Thank you guys for pointing out that I should use the website in Spanish, without that I was getting stuck in step 2 (Step 3 didn't load).

After that for using Chase card I had to call the bank and talk to security department to enable intl transactions to go through and it worked nicely.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
520 reviews
50. Re: Can't buy Machu Picchu tickets from website - help please

I'm traveling to Cusco in April. I plan on purchasing my MP tickets in Cusco or AC when I arrive by air for a visit the next day because I have 2 students. Does anyone know the times that the ticketing agents are open in Cusco and AC?