We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

We are looking to do the 4D3N Jungle Trek option to Machu Picchu in March 2013. Would you recommend booking beforehand? If so, is there a recommended tour operater?

A friend went earlier this year and was able to easily book a tour when she arrived for much cheaper but I would like to hear about other peoples opinions/experiences.

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

I wouldn't recommend that tour until the rainy season is over (April onwards).

You can book that tour upon your arrival in Cusco - no need to book in advance.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

No way to get to Santa Teresa by road a his time of the year, it has washed out and its closed.

Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

Thanks for the advice! We will flying into Cusco 20th march and flying out 4th April so we have flexibility on which days we can go.

I will wait until we get to cusco and see what the whether forcast is when we get there!!

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

Personally I would book and am glad that we did because if we had left it until we arrived in May we would not be able to do the trek as looking at the permit availability they are all now taken for May.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

Different trek.

Cusco, Peru
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

I booked the Inka Jungle Trek with Loki Travel in April. We were warned about potential landslide delays but it was fine for our tour. I am glad we booked in advance, we would have missed out on climbing Huayna Picchu and getting an earlier return train for the tour. I would highly recommend Loki Travel, they were excellent in responding to our emails quickly, taking care of all of the booking in advance and the tour was awesome!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

Currently the rout to Santa Teresa is open, we just had some guests take a bus to Santa Teresa, and while there was a slight delay due to roadwork, they were able to get through to Santa Teresa. This does not mean it will be open come March.

As Graham H indicated, if you want any extras, i.e. Huayna Picchu or an Early Train option, you may want to book now. Check into the companies booking policies to see how they handle this type of situation, the company we work with will usually apply the full amount to an alternate tour if available.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

In General this trek doesn't offer any guarantee that you can get to Machu, get different trail.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

I don't think there are any guarantees, anywhere. Any Trail could washout, and even the train tracks could get closed during the rainy season.

10. Re: Machu Picchu Jungle Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 30, 2014