We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

We're planning to do the 4 day Inca trail hike, but am debating whether to stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes or not afterwards. To be honest, spending 1-day is probably fine time-wise, but I'm worried that we'll get a cloudy/foggy day and not be able to take pictures. Is that common? Or, does it typically just burn off by late morning/afternoon?

I'd just hate to come all that way and not really see it, but time/money is also a factor too.

Thanks!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

As June is the dry season the odds of clear days are pretty good, there may be some morning fog, but that should burn off.

Edited: 8:03 pm, November 30, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

I did the Inca Trail in October with an extra night in Aguas Calientes afterwards. I did that so i could go back up to MP the next day and enjoy it at my leisure.

I am so glad I did. On the 4th day of the Inca Trail I was stuffed- too tired to really enjoy it. After a quick look around on the guided tour I headed into Aguas Calientes to relax for the afternoon and evening.

It was well worth the time and money to go back up the next day and see it a second time- this time to just sit and enjoy the vistas as well as look carefully at the many building. While I enjoyed it the first day the second day was to me wonderful. After spending all that time and money to get there it was a decision I do not regret.

As you say a second day also gives you opportunities to take photos if it is cloudy on the first.

Edited: 9:13 pm, November 30, 2012
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

June is the dry season, very low probabilities of rain or foggy day.

Cusco
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

If you are going to travel in mid june will be great!!! (DRY SEASON), likely you gonna have good time in Cusco, Machu Picchu and of course the Inca Trail.

http://www.aboutcuzco.com/weather

Lima, Peru
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

Mid June is Dry Season, best time visiting Machu Picchu. At this time normally it's not raining or foggy, except sometimes in the early morning. hope you enjoy your time in Cusco and Machu Picchu.

www.paititi.jimdo.com

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

Thanks everyone-- I'm excited already!!

7. Re: Odds of weather being bad/cloudy @ Machu Picchu in mid-June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, December 17, 2013