We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
677 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
$120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

Seems high, but that is his quote, is it high?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

You can hire a guide at the entrance to Machu Picchu for less than half that. Theres going to be so many tour groups in Machu Picchu anyways even without a guide you will undoubtedly get info because your going to end up near one group or another wherever you go.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

Walking around without a knowledgeable guide in Machu Picchu is like watching TV with the sound off.

For sure you see something interesting, but a knowledgeable guide will add depth and meaning to the experience.

I've been to Mapi at least 8 times with my groups and we have always paid top dollar for guides and never regretted it. How much does it cost to get to Machu Picchu? Airfare, hotels, train, etc? Probably at least $1500. $120 is a small fraction. The guide is the grand finale of your glorious trip.

You can get a guide book and organize your own tour but you will not hear the stories and "taste" the ancient flavors that once existed in the citadel.

Really good guides are best booked in advance. For sure you can find some good guides at the entrance, but is not a guarantee.

One reason they cost so much is that they come from Cusco. Their travel expenses and their time must be covered by the fee they charge.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

Disagree. You can read up ahead of time, watch a documentary, bring a guidebook if you wish. I would rather soak up the beauty and atmosphere without being distracted by guide chatter. Although, with all the guide groups coming through constantly, that is very difficult to do. I wish they would put "guide limits" in place.

If you don't read maps well then you can hire a guide at the entrance for much less than $120 for an orientation tour, and then enjoy the rest of the day in peace.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

I went to Peru to see Peru. Macchu picchu was nice, but not the highlight for me. Reading about it prior is probably more important than hiring a guide when there. To just be there is nice. I didn't feel the need to 'know it all' about the place, and a lot is still 'speculation'. I did manage to 'mingle' with some of the many guided tour groups and got some free information ;-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

is the $!20 for a group or one person?

Hard to believe all the good guides live only in Cusco and day tip MP????

Cusco, Cusco, Peru
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

hey I been in machupicchu so many times maybe 200 at least, I will say at the entrance of machupicchu you will find a masive group of people I mean Guides and there you can pay 20 or 10 soles per person (peruvian soles) but did you hear, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, so there is your answer.

a recommended guide usually is working with a good company or you can contact them here into the recomendations.

Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

I agree that hiring on the spot is the best option--why? Because then you can do a mini-interview and know if you can actually understand that person's "English".

Our experience was that we hired a guide, his English was marginal, he rushed us, and we told him to just leave us alone and go on to his next customers after a short while.

As we wandered at our own pace, many, MANY other tour guides came through on their tours. We had the opportunity to hear the information in several languages. For us, this was a vast improvement.

I also agree that when I traveled to Perú, it was not to see MP. Yeah it is there. Yeah it is neat. Yeah, yeah yeah. But that is like suggesting that someone come to the US and s/he absolutely see the Statue of Liberty because that is the most important thing in the entire country. In reality, it is just one thing out of many.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

"I also agree that when I traveled to Perú, it was not to see MP. Yeah it is there. Yeah it is neat. Yeah, yeah yeah. But that is like suggesting that someone come to the US and s/he absolutely see the Statue of Liberty because that is the most important thing in the entire country. In reality, it is just one thing out of many."

I think this is a good point. Macchu Picchu is mostly an 'important place' because of media hype and advertising in tourist brochures. There's so much more than that to Peru's past, and then some.Whilst i enjoyed visiting it, i was NEVER that amazed about the place, i mean after all the hype it's mostly about the location. I found the less hyped sacred valley to be more rewarding TBH, and how i loved to get away from the guides and hordes of tourists at macchu picchu (yuk!)!

IMO, unless Macchu Picchu is your lifes aim, then reading about it beforehand is enough for plenty. Mind you 20 soles pp for a decent guide is fair price in a group. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a guide, more like 5 or less.

Edited: 2:32 am, November 25, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

we had a good guide we got at the entrance and he did not rush us and did a good job.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $120 for a Machu Picchu Guide?

official guides were asking 50 soles last week. I agree with Emintx, talk to the guides as they each have different levels of english. Some are harder to understand than others.