We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

I have secured tickets for MP and HP in the same day. I will be spending the night in AC the night before our big day in MP. I am planning to catch the sunrise at MP and then leave for our HP hike at 10AM. I'm hoping to make it back to MP by the time most tourists leave and then take a train back home that night. Does this sound reasonable? How long does the HP hike take? We are a couple of relative fit people. I just want to make sure I'm budgeting enough time for everything. TIA!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

You will have plenty of time! For the average “fit” person it takes around two hours to reach the summit. In the case of larger crowds or just the altitude, even if it happens to take you a bit longer, you will have plenty of time to enjoy the spectacular views and capture some great photos. The descent takes between 30 minutes to an hour, giving you enough time to explore the citadel once again before closing.

Enjoy your time exploring Machu Picchu!

Katherine

Peru For Less

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

Thanks Katherine! Do you also know if I need tickets to check out the Inka Bridge as well? I wanted to see this spot too. Thanks! :D

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

You don't need a ticket to visit the Inka Bridge, it is included in your Machu Picchu entrance ticket!

Katherine

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

I was hoping to be as efficient with my time as possible. Will I not be able to check out the Inka Bridge until the day my MP ticket is valid? I was hoping to hit up the Sun Gate and Inka Bridge before my big day in MP/HP.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

One hour up and 45 down plus time at top so 2.5 to 3 hrs

Mark - Escaped to Latin America

Bethlehem...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

The trail for Huayna Picchu is limited to like 400 people per day for ecological reasons. So, you really need to get in line EARLY (get up at 4am and get the first bus up MP). Must do HP first or else you won't be able to at all.

Have fun!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

Heidi :

What you are suggesting is no longer necessary as you can obtain a ticket on the internet to climb HP at one of the 2 schedules and jing already has one for the 10 am climb.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

You will be required ti have a MP entry ticket to visit Sun Gate/inca Bridge on a different day. If you do it all on the same day as HP you have the ticket you need.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

Really stupid question, but just want to double check, am I supposed to buy the Foreign Category & not the National Category.

Also, I'm coming up to Machu Pichu through the inca trail, am I safer booking the 10am-11am hike or should 7am-8am be ok?

Thank You

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does it take to hike Huayna Picchu?

1) Yes

2) I think 10 is safer. I have seen groups coming in at 8:30 ish... plus a lot of hikers will wait at the Sun Gate to watch for the sunrise if it is clear.

Then you will have to exit the site before you can re-enter.

Check with your company for best advice.