We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

Hello,

I would like to wear my lenses on the trek as I find my glasses really inconvenient (and don't have prescription sunglasses).

I wear the type you can leave in continously for 30 days so all being well they won't need to come out.

I have read about it being dusty etc.... and wondered if people who wore lenses have worn them on the trek and if you have any tips? I will of course be taking comfort drops ad will take my case in case I need to remove them (my comfort drops are also solution). Also have hand santitiser as well but really hoping I can get away with not taking them out!

Many thanks :)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

I used my contact lenses on the Inca Trail, mine were the ones you have to take them off at night and I was fine, do not remember having any problems with them

Hope this helps you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

I actually had a pretty annoying time with dry eyes (I also wear contact), chapped lips, and dry skin in general in Cuzco and Machu Picchu. If you're worried about it, just be sure to pack some heavy duty chap stick, hand lotion, extra contact case, solution, and keep your glasses close on hand for when you need to change your lenses out. It wasn't the dust, just the dry air and altitude I think that gave me problems.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

thank you both for your advice :)

I will be sure to take plenty of comfort drops then!

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

Thank you so much for this post. I had the same concerns and have been considering lasik surgery prior to the trek. However, with 2 kids in college, the lasik will have to wait. I'll make sure I bring a couple of pairs of extra contacts to be safe.

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

I used daily contact lenses so my eyes could have a rest at night and I found this to be really easy. Hand washing facilities often don't have soap and our porters only supplied hand washing bowls and soap prior to 3 main meals so take some soap to use at the taps if you are taking them in and out.

I didn't have a problem with dust but I went at the start of rainy season so it might not have been as dusty as in the dry season.

6. Re: Experience of contact lenses on inca trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013