We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu 2 day tour- not the Inca trail!

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Venezuela
5 posts
Save Topic
Machu Picchu 2 day tour- not the Inca trail!

Hey everyone,

I am planning a trip to Machu Picchu at around the 21st April and I am looking for the cheapest and best travel agency that gives a 2 day tour that doesn't include the Inca trail. So far I've found SAS which charges $165 (including the student discount). Do you think I can find a cheaper or better travel agency?

Also, is it important that I book in advance or can I just show up at Cuzco on the 21st April and arrange everything there?

Let me know!

Ellie xx

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu 2 day tour- not the Inca trail!

I think that the price you have been quoted is as cheap as it will get, unless you go to a much cheaper deal which will risk yr visit.(I hope this includes the train ticket and the entrance fee to MP and the mini bus ride)

You should book in advance to avoid risking yr visit to MP as it can get crowded.Better safe than sorry.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu 2 day tour- not the Inca trail!

Instead of skipping the Inca Trail entirely, we did what's called the 2-day Inca Trail option. The first day you get on the train in Cusco, then get off just a few miles from the end of the line (Aguas Caliente). You then hike the last 10 miles of the Inca Trail. It sounds far, but our 10 year old son did it fine (he even lead the group the whole way).

The great advantage of this is that your first view of Machu Picchu is when you have just climbed a very steep set of stairs and passed through the "Sun Gate" - you are gazing down on Machu Picchu from above and it is all laid out before you. You then hike down to the ruins, getting there at about 4:00, just as the place has emptied out. After a night down in town, you take a bus back up and spend the day in Machu Picchu. At the end of the day you get on a train back to Cusco. Since the Inca Trail is a national park you have to do the trip with a licensed guide. Every tour company in Cusco will offer this tour.