We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
17 posts
68 reviews
Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Is it advisable to bring my trekking poles to Macchu Picchu? I am not hiking the Inca Trail, just wandering around Macchu Picchu a couple of days and possibly climbing Huayna Picchu. If there is no need for them, I won't take them along and will possibly get by with just a carry on bag.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
339 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Leave them. Poles not allowed in machu picchu

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
744 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Here's what the Machu Picchu rules state:

"Walking sticks are allowed only for the elderly and handicapped persons"

I found this on this site

http://www.machupicchu-tour.com/

So they may not believe you need them. Also, if you decide to take them, make sure they have rubber tips. Rubber tip poles are required for the Inca Trail, so I think that's a good idea for Machu Picchu as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
794 posts
274 reviews
3. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Its not permitted because it can damage the site. If people are just finishing up the inca trail, they have to leave them at the front.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
744 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

I was wondering about that. I'll be trekking and planned on renting a pole. Do the trek companies provide folding trekking poles that I can put in my backpack for storage at the gate? How does the storage system work there?

Thankd

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Just get the wooden pole for 10 soles(including the rubber tip which can be quite useful) at the Sacred valley.

Calgary
Level Contributor
493 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

I was at Machu Picchu just 2 weeks ago and there were many people who took their hiking poles along to explore the site with approval from the authorities - ALL of them had rubber tips.

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

I don't think that poles would be of any benefit to you on Huayna Picchu.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
744 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

I was at machu picchu in March 2009. There were 2 women using walking sticks. These women clearly did not need them. It made me mad. I had no idea whether there was a policy or not. I just thought it was common sense not to add unnecessary wear to the ruins.

It was my first time there & I was surprised how we were allowed to walk all over the ruins. I thought for sure there would be roped off areas. It definitely would not make sense to allow walking sticks. They don't even allow food or large backpacks.

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
17 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

Thank you all for your input. I'm very grateful for this forum to get such good advice...so definitely no hiking poles. Anything that makes for lighter travel is good! And forgive me for misspelling "Machu."

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
10. Re: Trekking poles for Macchu Picchu

I used trekking poles at Machu Picchu in September. They are absolutely allowed, but you must have rubber tips on them (as well as on the trail). There are a LOT of steps at macho Picchu as well.