We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

This is an embarrasing question to ask but I was wondering if there are toilets in Machu Picchu. We plan to spend a great deal of time exploring the ruins but don't want to shorten it if "nature calls." Thanks for your help.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

Before you enter the ruins, you will find restrooms , for a small cost, which are in pretty reasonable cleanliness. Use them as you will find NO restrooms inside MP.

Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

They are only at the entrance to the ruins, but none inside. You might want to plan your day around this, such as using the restrooms before you enter, then walking all the way across the park and working your way back as you explore. That way, if you did have to go back for a restroom stop, you won't have to do so much walking back and forth. Also, if you like hikes and are very fit, I highly recommend the climb of Huanya Picchu!

Chelsea Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

Hi Walk This World,

We are arriving in Peru on March 10 and will be going to MP. In your answer to belandseb you said "if you are very fit you recommend climping Huanya Piccu". Could you tell me about your climb up Huanya Piccu? I am 54 and my husband is 59, we would like to climb Huanya Piccu. Please give us your experience so that we can decide if we should try it.

THANK YOU!

Debbie

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

Thanks everyone! I have another question...if the toilets are outside the entrance, are you allowed to go out then come back in or will I have to pay another entrance fee?

I still have three months to get in shape, so I better lay off the fast food til then.

Thanks again

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

You can inform the guard that you are coming out for lunch or the toilet and they will let you back in no problem.

Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

I think they stamp hands, sort of like Disneyland, so you can enter and exit as needed. And your ticket stub is good for the day it's dated. Oh, one thing you might want to do....you can take your passport to this office at the entrace and get a Machu Picchu stamp! It's not good for anything other than souvenir value, but it's kind of fun.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

Thanks again. My bladder is covered.

I will definitely get my passport stamped! I'm a sucker for those kind of things. Thanks for the tip, WalkthisWorld.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restrooms at Machu Picchu ruins

The Machu Picchu stamp is definitely fun, on our recent trip to BA/Patagonia just about every immigrations officer we encountered made a comment on it, whether entering Buenos Aires at the international airport, boarding a ferry to Colonia or at the tiny border crossing with Chile at Cerro Castillo. It got us lots of smiles from otherwise bored officials!