We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

As many of you have already mentioned, the problematic website to buy tickets doesn't have an option for children's tickets.

So what's the alternative? Can they be bought over the phone, or via a travel agency? By them all adult tickets and eat the cost?

Also, from what age do children require a ticket?

Sorry to post yet another MP ticket question!! Many thanks.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
181 reviews
1. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Try emailing your inquiry to the call centre as they may be able to help you book the tickets. callcenter@drc-cusco.gob.pe

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

That's a very sensible suggestion. I've emailed, and when I get a response, I'll post it.

In the interim, if anyone already has a good solution to this, let me know.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

While waiting for their answer you can check the following website:

www.machupicchu-tour.com is an online travel agency, some travellers have bought their tickets thru this company when the MP website crashed.

They will charge you a fee and they will request the following:

To have a student discount, you must send now a copy of your International Student Identity Card (ISIC). Our Agency cannot make the reservation at the authorities' office at a student rate without this copy (forbidden).

By agreeing to continue, you certify that now from this page you will send a legible copy of the original ISIC card, valid on the date of the trek. Sending any other document which is not an ISIC card (another card, certificate, written proof, forgery or any other) is an infringement to our terms of purchase which will then be applied.

Hope this helps you for the moment

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

One more information on this site regarding students:

I am a student, is there a discount?

We offer indeed a discount for students but under one condition only: you must have an international student card (ISIC), valid on the date of the tour. Any other proof, such as a simple written or verbal statement, a national student card or a university card, is not accepted by our Agency or by Peruvian authorities. Besides, the same ISIC card has to be shown to government agents the day of the departure at the entrance to Machu Picchu. To sum up, this discount only applies to those having an ISIC student card and not to students in general.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Thanks for the travel agency tip. The site states that the discount is for children (menores de 18 años pagan como estudiante, menores de 7 no pagan) or ISIC. My children are all very much under 18!

But that's a very useful warning to anyone after a student discount.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Yes it is the first for me also, I thought just by showing your student ID would be enough!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Okay, the very efficient call centre got back to me and said that children under 8 do not pay (I had misread the Spanish as meaning under 7 are free, actually it's 7 years AND under are free). That solves my problem, as the children we're travelling with are all 7 and under.

So, they answered my question, but did not have to address the issue of how to pay if you're between 8 and 18, or those with a valid ISIC card. If that describes you, I can only recommend contacting the call centre again. They are really very helpful.

Possibly you could buy a full price ticket online, then request a partial refund at their office with your documentation in hand?

Puckapunyal...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Further to the above, my children will be 4 & 7 so I will not have to buy them a ticket......but do I have to reserve them a space or do I simply buy the two adult tickets online and then turn up with the kids? Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
9. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

Amy,

Children 7 & under don't need a ticket, just show up at the entrance with your adult tickets.

However, you will need to present PASSPORTS for the children to verify their age.

Another consideration: You need to buy bus tickets. for the ride up from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village) to the ruins. Kids age 5 & older MUST buy a bus ticket. This means your 7 year old needs a ticket. Your 4 year old can ride on your lap but if you want a seat for the 4 year old, you must also purchase a bus ticket. Bus tickets are $15.50 roundtrip.

Happy travels,

Peru For Less

South Florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: How to buy MP tickets for the kids??

A couple of questions...How do you get that student i.d.? Is there a website to order it from and what is the cost?

Also, We are visiting the Sacred Valley in June and have been corresponding with Eduardo Medina from Reserv Cusco? He is giving me a very fair price for a one day trip from Tambo Del Inka Hotel to Macchu Pichu and I just wanted to get a recommendation before giving them a deposit. Has anyone used them before or know the company

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!