We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inca Trail Campsites

London
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Inca Trail Campsites

I am looking at a couple of different companies to choose an Inca Trail trek and have only just realised that they don't all follow exactly the same pattern - i.e. number of KMs walked per day and therefore where they stop for the night. So, I was wondering if anyone could give any recommendations of campsites or comments on where not to stay?

I have so far found mention of Pacaymayo and Chakicocha/Chaquicocha (which seem to be alternatives depending on how far you trek that day), Ayapata and Winaywayna.

Thanks,

Lindesay

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

I think the choice of campsites is not dependent on the company. There are 16 campsites along the Inca Trail, and while agencies can state their preferences -- I was told that campsites are assigned to them for those particular dates, not chosen by them. We trekked with Llama Path, and I know at least one other LP group started on the same day (several group members stayed at the same Cusco hotel we did), but we didn't see them at the campsites along the way.

Nearly every company stops at Winay Wayna, though, on the last night. This is the closest campsite to Macdhu Picchu. Winay Wayna has a bar, showers, electric outlets (in the bar), and is very, very crowded.

Other than Winay Wayna, I didn't see a lot of difference between the campsites. They were all pretty basic, with flush toilets (no "thrones," though) and running, non-potable water. Usually there were only two or three other groups staying where we stayed.

Bottom line -- I don't think there's a lot of difference between the campsites, and you can't choose your trekking company based on campsites -- they may use different ones on different dates.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

Trekking companies are pre-assigned campsites by the governing body which controls the Inca Trail (INC). There is only limited capacity for campers so it all has to be pre-arranged and agreed in advance. All campsites are perfectly fine, and none are better than others.......

Enjoy the trek, and don't get too concerned about the campsites!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

You apply for campsites you want.

Some groups walk further on day 1 (to Ayapata) and day 2 (to Chaquicocha) to a have a short day and arrive by lunch time in Winaywayna and have all afteroon to explore the nearby ruins.

Other groups camp at Wayllabamba and Pacaymayu therefore have day 3 as the longest (maybe have not enough time to explore winaywayna ruins)

Late bookings are allocated in Phuyupatamarka as their camp #3 and have a long day 4 (this camp is 3 hours away from sungate unlike winaywayna that is only 1 hour)

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
4. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

You better book the Inca Trail as they are already sold out until august and that is going fast. Choose a reliable company waykitrek.net, trekperu.com and more on the south american explorers website www.saeplorers.org

London
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

Thanks everyone for the comments. Considering the campsites and walking times was really just something to throw into the mix as I now have only 3 companies to choose between, all of which are well recommended. (I am also looking at treking in Torres del Paine in Chile and one of those campsites does get a really bad write-up. So, it's good to know all the Inca ones are fine). Westsidematt - that was a really useful point about the walking times though. Thanks inti67, but it's OK, I'm not going 'til November and am keeping an eye on it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

You can see the exact Inca Trail on the Perut maps:

http://i53.tinypic.com/15507pg.jpg

By the way, version 3.10 was just released today(free):

http://www.perut.org

7. Re: Inca Trail Campsites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 29, 2012