We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to Peru

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a Trip to Peru

Hello my name is Jose, and i'm from Portugal.

Me and my wife are planning to make a trip to Peru in the two last weeks of November. First question, is this a good date to go?

My major concern about walking around Peru is schedule of transportation.

Can i only book the flyght between LIsbon - Lima - Arequipa, and do not worry with the rest. Or must i buy all the things in advance? Are trains, and buses running in a daily basys? Can i buy the ticket in the place, at the same day??

I'm planning to flight directly from Lima to arequipa, then see the canyon. After go to Puno and lake Titicaca. Then take the train to Cuzco. From Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. Return from Aguas calientes to Cuzco and LIma. Can anyone advice me more things to see? Are 2 weeks enough??

I know that's a lot of question, but a million thanks to all!!!!

Thank you very much for your attencion.

Jose

P.s. Sorry all, about my english, but it's quite rusty!!!!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

My wife and I covered basically the same route as you are planning in 2 weeks. Its a bit of a push but definately doable.

"Or must i buy all the things in advance?"

In general you can wait until you are in Peru to book bus travel and even some tours but if you are planning any domestic flights I would book those in advance. I always like to know exactly where Im staying and book that ahead in case I need to arrange pick-up or in case they can assist me in arranging transportation or tours.

We used www.4m-express.com to travel from Chivay (Colca Canyon) to Puno rather than return to Arequipa with the tour. It worked out brilliantly and saved us many hours of travel time.

If you are planning on taking the train www.perurail.com from Puno to Cusco you might want to book that as well. Another cheaper option is the www.inkaexpress.com bus which follows the same route as the train but includes stops at important sites along the way. www.lan.com and www.starperu.com both have flights between Juliaca and Cusco.

You should book your train tickets to Aguas Calientes if you know the days you want to travel there. You could probably wait and still get train tickets but it may not be your preferred train or departure time. www.perurail.com is the only train which operates between Poroy (Cusco) and Aguas Calietntes as well as between the Sacred Valley (Urubamba and Ollantaytambo) and Aguas Calientes. www.incarail.com and www.machupicchutrain.com both have trains operating between Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes.

Insted of taking the train from Poroy (Cusco) to Aguas Calientes you should spend the day in the Sacred Valley and take a late train departing from Ollantaytambo insted and do the same on the way back. This way you can cover Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Maras, and Moray on the way into and out of the Sacred Valley.

I would also suggest planning to spend at least the night before in Aguas Calientes so you can be up at Machu Picchu early. If you plan to hike Huayna Picchu then you must be up to Machu Picchu on the first bus if you hope to secure tickets. Machu Picchu is so much more quiet and peaceful in the morning before the masses of day-trippers show up and completely overrun the site. If you can manage a second night in Aguas Calientes then you can stay late and the site quiets down again as the day-trippers leave in the afternoon. I found the light for photos to be best in the morning and late afternoon as well.

Have a read through this site for more good info on Peru...

www.andeantravelweb.com/peru

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

hello Jose

we went to peru last October- November and the experience was really amazing but I must to say the weather wasn't too nice, some days were a little cloudy, The rain begin from December to March, we were during this transition. I do not complain it, iwas worthwile, in order to make my trip a little more confortable I did my trip arrangements with a local tour operator called Inkandina Travel & tours, they customized our itinerary, and gave us many choices to change the program as we wanted it.

I think that my itinerary could give you an idea about your trip

1.- Arrival to Lima at night. overnight in Lima

2.- Flight Lima -Arequipa. In Arequipa,which is a loveable place;we did a city tour with Santa Catalina Convent, a 17th century convent.

3.- in this day we did the Colca Canyon, a magnificent place in fact, we stay at Chivay town in the middle of Colca valley, Overnight there.

4.-Very aerly in the mornig we went to Mirador del Condor , one highest colca valley's "balcony", we spent the entire morning going to another small and picturesque towns and during the afternoon we went to Puno, the next destination in our itinerary. overnight in Puno City

5.- Once in Puno, we did the tour to Uros and Taquille Islands, quite impressive, the landscape was wonderfull.

6.- During the morning we took the bus from Puno to Cusco, the road took almost 8 hours, but during the route we did 4 stops to have guided tours and we had a nice lunch buffet in the middle of the route. We arrived at Cusco at 6pm. Overnight in Cusco.

7.- We had a a free morning and during the afteroon we did a fantastic city tour , and also we went to archaeological sites,

8.- Here we had an excursion to the incan sacred valley, pretty amazing, specially the snow capped mountains and landscapes. overnight in Sacred Valley

9.- free morning, and in mid afternoon we took the train to Aguas Calientes. We spent the night there.

10.- Very early in the morning to took the bus to Maccupicchi Citadel, we had a 2 hours guided tour, after that we had free time to go around and see another citadel sections. in the mid afternoon we returned to cusco city. overnight there.

11.- we spent almost the entire day walking around the city, finally we took the last flight to Lima, during the night we stayed in a hotel located in Miraflores district.

12.- In this day we did a City tour in Lima we saw the main square and a lot of churches, many of them very antiques. during the afternoon we visited Pachacamac archaeologicalr complex, and finally at night we took our international flight .

Well I hope i've helped you in a way, this trip is unforgetable; ohhhh I forgot, it's better to buy the flight tickets in advance because the majority of peruvian destinations are almost always on demand, For that reason I used a tour operaror in order to buy in advance and get better prices.

Anyway Good Luck with your trip. : )

Lisbon, Portugal
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

First of all thank you very, very much for your answer. I'm finishing an Excel Sheet with estimated dates and values, could i ask you later to give me your honest oppinion?

Once More thank you a lot!!!!

If you need some info about other places, that i can help, be me guest.

I know some places in Europe and thailand.

Best Regards

4. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, March 19, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

Warcesterdude,

Did you liked the tour operator?

They sent me prices and for standart Hotels are quite good!

Thanks Again for your attention

JR

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

Hey JoseAreis

Well I liked a lot, I must confess that they were really helpful and patient , because in the process we did many changes ( add more tours, more night lodgins etc) I hope you find the correct itinerary for you.

Well Have a nice day and good luck.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

Does anybody know a tour operator called "Trippers Machu picchu Tour Operator" ?

8. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, March 30, 2012
9. Re: Planning a Trip to Peru

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 am, June 21, 2013