We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How tough is Machu Pichu

UK
3 posts
Save Topic
How tough is Machu Pichu

Thinking about a trip in March. If anyone can help with some questions I have that would be grear.

1. I have climbed up Table Mountain and that was pretty tiring, how does Mach Pichu compare (obviously longer!)

2. How cold and wet is it in March?

3. Is the Inca Trail the best rout or are there alternatives?

Thanks

Steve

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How tough is Machu Pichu

1. I have climbed up Table Mountain and that was pretty tiring, how does Mach Pichu compare (obviously longer!)

I haven't climbed Table Mountain, however it's altitude is much lower than Machu Picchu. The Inca Trail is not that difficult, however the altitude can do you in. I was not in very good shape when I trekked it last year. I made it but was pretty miserable (but I am glad I did it). I would recommend getting into shape before attempting it. You also have to acclimate to the altitude before you begin. Most people spend two or three days in Cusco or the Sacred Valley before beginning the hike.

2. How cold and wet is it in March?

See

bbc.co.uk/weather/…

on average 11 days in March have rain.

3. Is the Inca Trail the best rout or are there alternatives?

See www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/treks/index.html

London, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How tough is Machu Pichu

Completely agree! The acclimatisation is definitely the key. It's worth spending plenty of time in, say, Arequipa and then Puno before hading to Cusco: Arequipa because it's midway between sea-level and Cusco, and Puno because it's higher than Cusco so if you're okay there then the trail shouldn't hold any fears!

As to routes, the classic Inca Trail is great but, having done both, I'd really recommend you think about doing the Salkantay route - it's a little tougher but, for me, even more spectacular! Have a look at

London, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How tough is Machu Pichu

oops! accidentally hit tab and return! I was going to go on to say that <a href="www.therealperu.co.uk">RealPeru</a> have got good information on the Salkantay trek and a better climate guide than I've seen anywhere else so you might want to have a look at it.

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How tough is Machu Pichu

Great thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,498 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How tough is Machu Pichu

You can go to MP by train and just visit the MP ruins. This is not tough at all.

For the Inca trail you have several options, 2,4 or 7 days.

March is still during the rainy season and you will get wet.