We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

My daughter and I are planning a two week trip to Peru. The first week is in Cusco. I was thinking on staying in the Sacred Valley for 5 days and Cusco for 2 days. Looking at the train schedule to Machu Picchu it looks like I could arrive at 8:20am and leave at 4:45pm if I go from the Sacred Valley. Dose anyone have an opinion if this is enough time to see MP? Leaving on a later train and staying over night would only add about 2 hrs.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

A one day visit to MP is good enough. Of course it is better to stay for the night if you plan to climb the Huayna Picchu or any other longer treks.

You have a good travel plan by staying in the SV. Start yr trip staying at the SV and afterwards go to Cusco city. You will be better aclimatized.

See Tripadvisor recommendations for your choosing of yr hotel in Urubamba.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

I had planned to head for SV first. I have emailed Kuychi Rumi and will make reservations with them as soon as I can lock down the dates. Thanks for the great info. How easy is it to get around SV on our own (without a tour group)?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

No problem at all.

Claudia can book taxis to take you anywhere.Taxis are cheap and safe to travel around the SV.

You should plan to visit : Pisac, Ollantaytambo,Chinchero,Maras and Moray if you have the time.

peru
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Over night at Machu Picchu or not?

1 day is enough if you just want to see machu pichu, but if you have any special interest in it you will need at least 2 days. MP is a big site with a lot of steps. to try and explore all of it in one day is rushed and tiring. and to absorb the atmsosphere and energy, 2 days or more is what i would be looking at.