We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inca trail in trainers?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wib
london
3 posts
Save Topic
inca trail in trainers?

help!!!

we're treking the inca trail to machu pichu.

my previously reliable walking boots have started rubbing badly. i'm considering wearing trainers instead to avoid getting blisters. would this be a bad decision?!!!

can you trek the inca trail to machu pichu in trainers?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inca trail in trainers?

Yes you can, but its better in walking type boots.

Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: inca trail in trainers?

I just returned from walking the Inca Trail, the advice that I got before I left and I'll now pass on to you - it is better to go in a comforatble pair of shoes. If your boots are rubbing don't wear them, but what ever you wear they should have good grips. The trail was really wet on a couple of the days and the rocks do get a little slippery.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inca trail in trainers?

Our guide walked in sandals (in October) and the porters had rubber sandals (made from recycled tyres), so apparently walk in anything! It is pretty much all trail and stairs, no really rough terrain, but can be steep and slippery. Comfortable shoes, and consider a hiking pole.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inca trail in trainers?

The sandals made of rubber tyres are called "ojotas" and are the typical shoes used in the mountains by the locals.

They are sold in all the markets for very cheap prices.They are used in "all terrains and weather"