We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inca trail treks for seniors

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
inca trail treks for seniors

We would like to take an inca trail trek but see that on Peru Treks there are some huge hoops seniors have to jump through. We're in the rockies of Colorado & accustomed to hiking in altitude. Are there specific vendors that are particularly suited to active seniors?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

Contact this travel agency : http://www.apumayo.com/

They do special treks and trips for elders and disabled travelers.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

I don't know how "senior" you are talking about. We trekked the Classic Inca Trail with Llama Path last year, both at 60. No issues with the company. One guy in our group was 70 & he did fine. (OK, he was a hunting & fishing guide from the Rockies, had a little advantage on us flatlanders!) I don't think Llama Path had any issues about his age.

We were slower than some of the young pups in our group, but someone, usually the assistant guide, always stayed with us. There was no pressure to stay up with the faster trekkers in our group. We were allowed to travel at our own pace.

They do require that everyone trekking with them take out travel insurance that includes medical coverage & emergency evacuation. (We secured AIG TravelGuard, but did not have to use it.)

So, look at Llama Path as a trek operator -- I don't think they have any age-related prejudices. You should do fine.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

Thanks for your imput. I did look @ the site & see that they do special hikes for the disabled, but I don't see anything geared to active seniors.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

OK Redhead, I'll take a look at that website. We're in our late 60s & quite able just slower. I like the sounds of a group that doesn't rush you. I'm also hearing that that cocoa tea is wonderful. Thanks for your help.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

Its COCA tea, no cocoa (chocolate).

Apumayo also do tours for none handicapped people.

Follow redheads recommendations, she knows what she is talking about, as she did it herself.

Acclimatize in the Sacred Valley, its much easier for your body.

6. Re: inca trail treks for seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 10, 2009