We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

We are booked on the classic inka trail trek in June and want to know what to expect re: snakes, dangerous spiders, etc. on the trail, mapsites, toilets,...don't want to be paranoid, just aware-

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

We didn't see any snakes, spiders or wild animals (except stray dogs) on the trail at all. The only time we saw bugs was on the 3rd day in the morning there were a lot of really annoying mosquito type bugs that were biting anything that wasn't covered (bring bug spray and use a scarf or extra shirt to cover your head).

Here is a link to an entertaining trip report with pictures and description of the toilets - they were definitely hideous! On the third night at Winay Wayna go to the bar/common area. The bathrooms there were very clean compared to the rest of the trail, although still no toilet seats. It was quite a walk from our tent, but definitely worth the trip.

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

thank you for that great link---loved the report--I only hope that my "sense of humor" is as good as hers during my trek!

Re: toilets - I have been skiing in Europe every year since 1991 and have used many of those porcelain "hole in the floor" toilets---(only it helps to be in ski boots for the cantelever balance)

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

I can't imagine trying to use them in ski boots! Regular boots were hard enough to balance in.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

Take your own toilet paper (Charmin makes travel rolls), Wet Ones & hand sanitizer.

A headlamp (instead of a flashlight) is really useful, both in your campsite & in the toilets, or as in our case, on the trail if you are slow & late getting into camp.

We took & used "Off" wipes, which were great when we got to those areas where mosquitoes swarmed. Just keep them handy in an outer pocket of your daypack, ready for instant use. We even shared with the guide & some porters.

We did not see any snakes, spiders or other scary critters. Several horses ran through our campsite late one night -- that was a bit of excitement!

5. Re: June - Inca Trail - snakes, spiders, wild animals, etc...??.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 23, 2009