We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

Atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

We have 2 nights in the Sacred Valley before going on the 2 day trek to Machu Picchu. Both places are available for our dates. There are just 2 of us so we don't really need a lot of space and we'll be touring during the day. Both places sound really great so I'm sure we can't go wrong but I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of each location.

Thanks

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

Read the reviews. You can find 93 on the KR at : tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294321-d498786…

and 33 on the Pakaritampu at : tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294319-d309729…

After reading the above reviews, you can easily make up yr mind.

Let us know yr decision.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

MegQ: We had the same thoughts while wondering which hotel to book as there were only 2 of us. The KR came recommended by people on this forum but it seemed too big for our needs ( the individual casita hwich has two floors) and we also figured we'd be away for most of the day. Our other 2 choices were either Sol y Luna or Pakaritampu and we settled on the latter because we were charmed by their website; however, they did not have vacancies for 3 consecutive days. So we settled on the KR and while it is a charming place, we really thought it might have suited a family or a group of travelers more than it did us. We did not feel comfortable while using the living room or dining room downstairs as there were no curtains, and at night especially, we felt like anyone outside on the grounds ( and there were men working all day outside when we were there) could see us clearly, so that rather inhibited us. Plus we had no use for the extra bedroom downstairs. We ended up staying most of the time in the upstairs bedroom ( which, thank heaven, had curtains that shielded us from the guys who were working in the gardens outside!) and only came downstairs to use the kitchen.

So in answer to your question, even though the KR has good reviews, we felt, as a twosome, that a smaller place would have been just right and far more enjoyable for us.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

Four of us stayed at KR in September; I believe we had the smallest cottage and we absolutely loved it, in fact, we had a hard time tearing ourselves away from it. We spent most of our first afternoon just sitting on our front patio, enjoying the view, the air and drinking coca tea that Claudia brought to us and I don't think we saw a soul. Claudia was very good to us bringing us food, getting us taxis, getting our fireplace started and even helped us organize the second half of our trip in the Northern Highlands. Rodrigo helped us with a lot of preliminary planning through email before our trip to Peru.

Our cottage was not big but it was comfortable and clean with a front and back patio and a small balcony off of the upper bedroom.

The landscape is beautiful and our cottage was peaceful even though the compound was near the highway - which is great if you want to catch a combi to Urubamba or elsewhere.

Perhaps it was because we were better located or the timing, but nobody in our group felt any of the privacy concerns that LL seemed to have at any point. In fact it's hard (or impossible) to think of a place where I've felt more welcome.

Arica
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

Hi

well i recomend you Pakaritampu, that hotel is really nice and it´s near from the train station, that is located in ollantaytambo city, I know the Kuychi Rumi is located in Urubamba, so if you go there you must pay a taxi in order to get arrive at train station at time.

http://www.urubamba.com/web/mapurubamba.htm

this link is from kuichi rumi website.

well good luck with the tour I hope you enjoy it.

Rodrigo :)

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

We stayed at the Kuychi Rumi, which was a great choice for us. We were picked up by their driver at the Cusco Airport & taken directly to Uruabamba (with a stop at the train station to pay for tickets for later in our trip). It was so nice to have someone waiting for us, with a sign with our name on it, amongst the clamor of taxis drivers trying to get our business.

We took the option at the KR of getting a food box, which was waiting in our kitchen & fridge when we got there. Right away, we started noticing altitude problems. Had a light lunch from the food supplies, then took a nap. Stayed in for dinner & made omelets from our food supplies. It was so nice to have that option, instead of having to go out to a restaurant, when we weren't feeling so well. Most mornings, though, we had breakfast prepared for us, instead of staying in our casita. Claudia makes a great fruit (safe) smoothie & great omelets!

We met some people who were very happy to be able to book a casita there at the last minute, as the wife had gotten ill elsewhere on the trip. Claudia took great care of her (bringing chicken soup, checking on her, ready to call Dr. if needed) while husband went with nephews on a planned tour. You won't get that kind of care just anywhere!

On our second day, we went to a cooking class with Chef Pio at El Huacatay in Urubamba, arranged by Rodrigo at the KR. This was a good option, not too active while acclimating.

The day after that, we went on tours of Ollantaytambo, Maras & Moray, with driver & guide arranged by the KR. On the day of our departure :( from KR, we also had guide & driver, who took us to Pisac market & ruins, heading back to Cusco, stopping at a weaving center & Sacsayhuaman before delivering us to our Cusco hotel. (We were also trekking the Inca Trail & our tour operator wanted us to stay in Cusco before embarking.)

We felt well taken care of while at the KR. Staying at the KR while adjusting to altitude (& overcoming effects of an overnight flight to Peru) made everything much easier. Claudia & Rodrigo are most willing to make arrangements for tours, train tickets, etc, if you ask. The Kuychi Rumi is a quiet & lovely place to stay!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,595 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

There were 4 of us at the KR in fall of 06 and we highly recommend the KR. Unlike LL we didn't feel any lack of privacy and while we didn't cook we certainly used the living room and fireplace.

In fall of 07 our daughter and her partner stayed at the KR and loved it as well. They actually cooked one night and loved having the space even though there were just two of them. They also did a cooking lesson with Pio ( as we had done the previous year). I know the poster is asking for the pros and con's of each place.. for us one of the pro's of the KR was the attention to detail and the organization that the KR did for us regarding touring, train tickets etc. This is a huge plus when you are organizing on your own. Whilst you may be touring all day and not think you need the space having the ability to just sit and relax on your private patio and watch the giant hummingbirds is a big plus. As well my husband was ill one day and was looked after by Claudia while the rest of us toured ..(he felt that he at least had a pleasant place to be ill...able to look out at the garden )

Another advantage of the KR for us was its central location between Pisac and Ollantaytambo which made visiting both easy.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

I've only heard / read about the Pakaritampu and it seems to be a very nice place in an excellent location. Ollantaytambo is a charming little town with impressive ruins.

Like most of the previous posters, my husband and I stayed at the Kuychi Rumi (early September 06) and would have loved to have more time there to just relax. We had no privacy issues whatsoever. It's actually strange because, as Livinglife wrote, there are no curtains downstairs, but I never felt like anyone would be interested in watching 2 people sitting in the living or dining area. That is, except for the two big, sweet dogs that LOVE to hang around with anybody who's willing to pet them :). So they spent time with us on the terrace.

The gardens are beautiful, and Claudia did a lot of booking (plane & train tickets, hotel rooms, restaurants, taxi, etc.) for us (for a very small fee) which saved us a lot of time and energy that we were able to use for pure enjoyment.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts. We are now back from a fantastic trip. We opted for Kyuchi Rumi even though it seemed extravagant for just 2 of us in a 2BR house. We are really happy with our choice. This is probably the nicest place we have ever stayed on our travels. Everything went smoothly with no worries thanks to Rodrigo's advice and arrangements.

9. Re: Hotel Pakaritampu or Kuychi Rumi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 24, 2009