We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
6 posts
Save Topic
Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

Hello all,

My question is about trails which do not require permits, sSuch as "Mollepata- Salkantay - Santa Teresa - Machu Picchu", "Lares Valley" and "Choquequirao".

Had anybody try them? What are your impressions? Is it possible to go by ourselves, without tour operator? Is it safe to be on trail by ourselves (in terms of robbery etc)? Is it possible to rent a room in the villages nearby (for “Lares Valley” trail)? I like to hike but have never been in mountains, how hard these hikes are compare to the same length hike somewhere in NorthEast? Is there anything special about hike in November/December?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ilvyanyatka

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

I would not recommend you trek on yr own while in Peru. If you get lost or hurt, nobody will come looking for you.

Villages on the treks, if any, are small and normally odo not offer any facilities to trekers. (toilets,water,food,etc)

Porters are quite affordable and will make yr life much easier and safer.

Boston
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

Thank you, xochitl.

Could you advice any tour company which do hikes on "Mollepata- Salkantay - Santa Teresa - Machu Picchu" trail? Most important is English speaking and knowledgable guides, then price..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

i've hiked all three hikes you have mentioned above plus lots of others around cusco.

the best tool that I have found regarding alternative treks in the cusco region is this one:

http://www.apus-peru.com/trek_comparisons.htm

i disagree with previous poster. If you speak spanish and are an independent traveller you can go to the trailheads and organise yourself an arriero there. yes, it is safe to be on the trail by yourself WITH A LOCAL PERSON, LOCAL GUIDE. never by yourself (ie just one person)

you can also find good information on local guides at

www.leaplocal.com

not very possible to rent rooms. Much better to take tents and camp.

I dont know how these hikes compare to the north east.

November and December are special because there is lots of rain and less tourists!

good agencies for these treks include enigma, llamapath, apus peru, check out andean travel web for comprehensive list.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

Nanay : i disagree with previous poster. If you speak spanish and are an independent traveller you can go to the trailheads and organise yourself an arriero there. yes, it is safe to be on the trail by yourself WITH A LOCAL PERSON, LOCAL GUIDE. never by yourself (ie just one person)

I think you are saying the same thing I said. (do not travel alone, use local porters) What do you not agree with me ?

I think Nanay is providing well experienced information.

5. Re: Questions about trails that do not reqire permits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, September 11, 2009