We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

This seems to be a very difficult task figuring this out.

Sat-Sun --- Sacred Valley

Mon-Thu --- Inca Trail

Fri-Sun --- Cusco

Now, if I come with a suitcase to Sacred Valley, if there a way to send that ahead to Cusco or something? I'm trying to figure out if I need to stop back in SV to get my stuff after the trail before heading to Cusco.

How do people normally pack and move their stuff around when they're staying at a hotel on either end of the trail?

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Virtually all hotels in Peru will keep luggage for you. If you stay in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo, it's really easy to pick it up on the way back.

BTW you don't have to take the train all the way from Aguas Calientes to Cusco (it's dark anyway), so you can get off the train in Ollantaytambo and take a taxi to pick up your stuff and head to Cusco (about 1 1/2 hours drive).

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Are taxi rides that much going between SV and Cusco?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Remember from other posts the cost is around 40 dollars to Ollaytay to Cusco

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Get yr taxi through yr hotel for better safety.

You can also catch it witha few friends to lower costs.

Clothing on the trail and the SV is the same. Do not take much, just one change and a few socks and underwaer extra.

Clothing during yr stay in the whole of Cusco should be very casual anyway.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

We did this trip, with the exception of just one day in SV. We just packed our stuff in the same bag... it is very casual; almost all tourists just wore hiking gear in SV.

I do recommend taking a taxi to avoid part of the train. You could do it from Ollyantaytambo ($35, hotel can arrange), or do it from the last stop before Cusco. It saves you a painstakingly slow hour long drop into Cusco.

Pack light for the trail... you don't need many snacks (the food is excellent). Make sure you bring extra socks and warm stuff for evening.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
320 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

I appreciate this question as my agenda is very similar and I too have wondered what to do with the souveniors purchased in SV and other excess baggage. Will a hotel hold your stuff even if you aren't going back to stay in it or would it make more sense to drop it off at the hotel that you will be staying at in Cuzco before the trek?

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

As I said, virtually all hotels will keep your stuff in a safe place even if you spend just one night there.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Got a similar question - if you are not returning to the hotel in the SV after MP how do you get your stuff back to Cusco? Our itinary is Cusco(2 nights) to SV (1 night) to AC (2 day Inca trail + one extra night in AC) to Cusco. If we go to the markets when in the SV is there a way of getting our shopping back to Cusco without carrying it on the two day Inca trail ourselves! Will the SV hotel transfer it to the Cusco hotel? Anyone done this before - how did you get round this problem - I want to be able to go shopping in the markets but don't want to carry lots on the Inca trail (I'm going to have enough problems just transporting myself on it!).

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Millimad,

Usually the company you're using for the Inca trail will take care of any extra luggage and store it for you in Cusco.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Do You Pack and Get Your Stuff Around?

Millimad,

We stayed at the hostel associated with SAS travel. They can keep you possessions for you in a store room in their lobby. I am sure this is similar with most tour groups. I wouldn't keep a expensive camera or anything in there... it is not locked up. I am not saying this of the Quechuan (sp?) people, more likely another tourist looking for their own bag.