We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru Earthquake??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Peru Earthquake??

Just heard the news about the earthquake, any details? Hopefully everybody in Peru in forum is safe and well. We will have a trip Lima and Cusco August 25. I am wondering is the condition so severe that we have to cancel our trip?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru Earthquake??

The most affected areas are near south of Lima, with over 300 dead.

Cusco is fine.

Lima slowly returning back tonormal.

Tourists are fine.

Come to Peru, no problem.

California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru Earthquake??

i heard hundreds of inmates escaped from the Tambo de Mora prison. We also have a trip to Peru, but currently scheduled for this Saturday. We are strongly considering a cancellation of our trip.

Yakima, Wa.
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru Earthquake??

hoosjigan, Enclave if xochit! recomends to go to Peru please do!!! It is a magical place with wonderful people and culture. The people of Peru need our prayers and also the support of our tourist dollar.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru Earthquake??

Have not heard anything about the Tambo de Mora prison.

I do not recommend for any tourist to go to Ica or Paracas area for a visit now.

Do not visit these places this time.

Go to Lima, Cusco,Arequipa, Puno or to the northern part of Peru, o the jungle areas, no rpoblems whatsoever.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru Earthquake??

Thanks xochit and dsk44 for your reassurance! We will not let this event stops us to visit the wonderful land.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru Earthquake??

Anybody knows whether Cusco or Machu Picchu have struck by earthquake before? or earthquakes in Peru are confined to the coastal area. I have paid deposit for a trip to Machu Picchu but am now considering to cancel the trip.

Any opinion?

dkym

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru Earthquake??

There was another after shock " 6.0 "

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru Earthquake??

dkym,

To answer your question, yes Earthquakes have also affected Cusco before, most recently in 1650 & 1950; Howver, These are natural disasters "act of god" and can not be avoided most places in the world. It would be a shame for anyone to miss Peru because the fear the sky is falling; which of course it is not...It appears that Lima Airport is operating and Cusco structures are not effected so go ahead and enjoy the riches of Peru. Sorry to say that Ica, Pisco and Paracas are affected. Peruvians will rebuild with time and it will be a wonderful sight again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru Earthquake??

Sorry, I miss spoke...It appears, Lima airport will be operating soon, (sorry no first hand knowledge)....

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru Earthquake??

You do not need to cancel yr trip to Cusco.

The Lima airport is operating 100 % and all national and international flights are operating OK.

Peru is in a seismic area, as is Hawaii,Japan California and most of South America.

Actually, now that we have had a big quake , most likely we won´t have another one in quite a few years.

Last time we had one in Lima was in 1970.

I cannot promise it will not happen, but ist like cancelling a trip to San Francisco because of the possibilities of an earthquake.