We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

I'd like to hear some advice from people who've already taken a 3 or 4 day trek on the Inca trail.

What's the weather like day to day? What do you usually wear during the day, what do you wear at night? Is there vast temperature changes? Are you constantly taking off or putting on layers of clothes?

Is it basically the same climate year round? I'm planning on going in May.

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,973 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

Very good questions - I'd like to add one more - I've read several posts about wearing insect repellent while at Machu Picchu. Do we also need to wear it all along the Inca Trail or just at the end?

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,973 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

I went on the 4 day trek May 2006 and wore zip-off hiking pants, a tank top, a long sleeve quick-dry shirt, a lightweight fleece, and a wide brim hat. It is freezing in the morning so you might wear a knit hat and gloves also. As the day goes on you will peel off layers, unzip to shorts, and switch to the wide brim hat. As it gets cooler in the late afternoon you will put layers back on. Take a pair of socks for each day. I wore above the ankle hiking boots and took telescoping trekking poles. At night I wore long underwear to sleep in. I did not need bug spray until I got to MP. Each day is about the same temperature, frost in the morning and warm by noon, except it is hotter at MP.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

We hiked at the end of June (4 day) and needed insect repellent only the first day on the trail and when we hiked down to the Temple of the Moon at MP, but not at the ruins of MP (yes weird I know). We too did the layers like Foxsie, climalite sleeveless with long sleeve climalite over it, and zip off pants. We alternated depending on if we were in the shade (first part of 2nd day and after the pass with the cool wind) or sun (most of the time). At camp we had lightweight comfy sweats and a t-shirt with a fleece layer over it and our second layer jacket for the later evening and first thing in the am. It's coldest the second night when you camp at a higher elevation, the other two nights were pretty nice.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

Add a littlke extra warm close for this winter as it is specially cold now.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

I wore shorts the first day, pants the rest of the days. T-shirts while hiking, but when I stopped moving for lunch/snack or a break I needed a fleece. Had a sweater for around camp and slept in my long underwear. I went in early November.

Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

I just came back from Inca Trail (July 12 to 16) and Fox Isle's recommendations are right on. We used the bug spray first half of first day and did not need to rest of the trail including MP. First two nights were below freezing. However, we had taken our long johns and we rented the sleeping bags that were rated for -15 and were comfortable. Best advice - think in layers and get a rain poncho - not the heavy duty kind but the cheap one. You can buy one locally.

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,973 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
kcmo
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

We are going mid-September so it should not be too rainy... but we were planning to take our Titanium rainjackets which are both warm and waterproof--also well ventilated so you don't retain sweat.

However, they are heavy and maybe a simple poncho would suffice to take care of the rain because we will have an outer fleece plus inner layers to take care of the cold.

What do you all think? Also, do you just pretty much wear the same clothes day after day--except maybe for underwear, sock liners and the inner t-shirt?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

jbates:

Just get the local rain ponchos. They are cheap and will be enough for the job.

Yes, wear the same clothing and change yr underwear. Take and extra pant and shirt in case they get wet or very dirty.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

Jbates,

We wore the same stuff except the underclothes like you mentioned. We did bring lightweight sweat pants (the nylon type) for around the camp and a tee but the hiking was all the same, as were most of those in our group. Simple poncho in case of rain since you have the other layers already and really you don't want any extra weight in your bag.

It was so fun and beautiful, we'd do it again in a heartbeat (and may)!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inca Trail - Day To Day Weather and Clothing

I'd also suggest the cheapo poncho...it'll keep you and your daypack dry. The very cheap ones are 3 soles (like 1 USD) the more expensive ones are 10 soles.

I also just changed my tshirt, socks and undies...by the end you'll be smelly, but so will everyone else :)