We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peruvian textiles

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Peruvian textiles

I'll be in Cusco in the beginning of December. I look forward to seeing Machu Picchu, but I'm also very interested in the textiles of that area and would love to see how the weaving is done. I've read about a place called the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco and I've e-mailed them, but have not received a reply. Does anyone know anything about them, or have any other information about Peruvian textiles? Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Peruvian textiles

Thanks, Obewood, I had not heard of that place. The website is great, and I love having another option.

This forum in absolutely wonderful, I've gathered so much information in the past few days alone. And it is all given with such good spirit! Thank you to everyone.

And speaking of spirit, I just this minute received a response from the CTTC! They give a three day weaving course for $120 which includes all materials. Sounds great to me.

And I will check out the KR, now that I know what it is. Your reviews are very impressive, and it sounds like it is run by knowledgeable and caring people.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions until I go to Peru (December), and it's nice to know I can ask those questions here and receive helpful answers.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Peruvian textiles

NY Weaver, would you be willing to let me know the e-mail address of the person from CTTC that you heard from regarding their 3-day course? I will be in Cusco in June 2008 and would like to wrap the timing of my stay around taking this course. I have e-mailed them, but have not gotten a response. Perhaps I was to vague in my e-mail.

Also, does anyone know of weaving courses (or private teachers) in the Urubamba area?

Thanks much!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Peruvian textiles

The e-mail address I used was: educacion@cttccusco.org

It took almost a week before I got a response, be patient. I think (and this is just a guess) that there is not always someone there who can answer in English.

It seems to be very open-ended. They said classes are about 4 hours daily, that I could decide if I want to do it in the morning or the afternoon hours, and that I should be in touch again when it gets closer to the time of my trip. My impression is that they willingly give the classes but that there aren't so many tourists interested in taking them (which pretty much amazes me, I think it is such a great opportunity), so they are flexible with their time, and we should be as well. I think it's a good idea to touch base with them now, and then when the time of your trip gets closer contact them again to let them know you're on your way.

Good luck.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Peruvian textiles

Thanks very much for the information and the advice. I agree that this is an amazing opportunity! Not only to learn a weaving technique, but to step into the culture just a teensy step. I am much looking forward to my whole Peru trip.

15. Re: Peruvian textiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 08, 2009