We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP

I'm planning on hiking two days in Machu Picchu - I am not sure which town to stay in for convenience. Is Ollantaytambo or Aguas or Cuscu best?

3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
31 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP

Hiking 2 days in Machu Picchu?

Are you taking about doing Huayna Picchu & montaña hikes inside Machu Picchu on separate days?

If this case, you should base yourself in Aguas Calientes. It takes a 30 minute bus ride to the entrance of Machu Picchu.

You need to take the train to AC, or long hikes. There are no roads to get there.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP

Yes, hiking on the 26th and 27th of June two different hikes in MP. Thanks for the help - I am more fond of a small town than the size of Cuscu - so, I am guessing that Aquas makes more sense....thank you for the help.

peace.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
128 reviews
76 helpful votes
3. Re: Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP

The train tickets are expensive. For a multi day visit you really have to stay in Agua Calientes.

Note a basic site tour is only a couple hours. Even hiking HP, two full days is a lot. Make sure you’re allowing enough time for the other ruins, sites, and hikes in Peru. MP is famous but not the only place to see.

Reply to: Closest town/best place to say day before hiking MP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted