We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
536 posts
72 reviews
New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Hi all, I visited the government site to begin digging into ticket options and was confused to find that ticket options seemed to be tied to hourly entrance times as opposed to morning or afternoon entrances.

Lo and behold, after poking around online a bit, I found this notice on a Peruvian travel agency site (https:/…23362c):

"Machu Picchu can no longer be visited either in the morning (Group 1 from 6am to 12pm) or in the afternoon (Group 2 from 12pm to 5.30pm). In order to relieve the site, the Government has decided to divide the days into 3 groups of 3 tours each. We will simplify by saying that from January 1, 2019 the visit to Machu Picchu will be according to 9 different entry schedules that must be chosen at the time of booking. These entry schedules are from 6am to 3pm per 1 hour period, which means that the visitor will have to choose in which schedule to entry to Machu Picchu, i.e. pass the entrance gate. For example, the 7am schedule to enter between 7am and 8am, or the 12am schedule to enter between 12pm and 1pm. The visit will be for 4 hours. We are aware of the complications and confusion that this will create, but like you, we are subject to ministerial decisions.

Again, to simplify, our agency has chosen to use its own name for each of the schedules and not those of the Ministry of Culture. We have therefore chosen to call each of these entry schedules: Machu H6 (6am entry schedule), Machu H7, Machu H8, ..., Machu H14 (2pm entry schedule). You can see the oficial announcement here.

Please visit our page about the differents types of tickets and our page to help you to choose your ticket. If you would like to discuss this with us or with other travellers, we invite you to use our forum."

I'm wondering if you buy the 14:00 ticket if you get a full four hours, since the closing time is 5:30pm, as I understand it. Any sense on how the entrance gate might be able to handle the traffic flow at this level of detail?

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18,210 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

This is a completely new policy so I doubt anyone has much experience with it. I’d expect a few minute wait in the entrance line.

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
2. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Thanks for sharing. I just logged on after looking a few weeks ago, and was wondering if it was new. We aren’t traveling until June, and would appreciate any helpful hints from those that go prior.

3. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Definitely want to hear about this new change if anyone has anymore info!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Any updates on this? I googled a little more and saw that at around 10 o'clock the queues are enormous already and people have been complaining about that. Which time slot would you recommend? The earlier the better?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

If you want to hike up a mountain at MP (which I recommend) you have to buy morning tickets (MP + one of the mountains). If you just want to visit the site without hiking up a mountain I would buy afternoon tickets (usually less people and nice light).

6. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:55 am, January 09, 2019

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
536 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019

Here's a travel site with a nice and detailed graphic that answered a lot of my questions: https://www.adventuresmithexplorations.com/n…

Reply to: New timed tickets by the hour for 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted