We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practicalities :-)

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Topic
Practicalities :-)

Are there any restrooms facilites at MP at all? If we're going to be there for the better part of a day, I hope so!!!

If one *has* to leave MP during the day for a short break ( whether it's for lunch or because one is feeling a bit sick or whatever) can one return without having to pay a fee again? ( In other words, do they stamp your hands like they do in lots of other places so you can go in and out)? And what about lunch? Are we allowed to take along a box lunch or is there a place where we can have a small snack ( sandwiches, bottled water etc). If box lunches are allowed, where do we get them ( from our hotel or elsewhere in AC or entrance to MP) and where does one eat ..any designated spots?

How much water should we take with us? Do we buy the bottled water at AC or at MP?

Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Practicalities :-)

There are facilities as you get off the bus at MP..best to carry your own tp. The bus stops in frot of the Monastrio hotel..you walk up some stairs to th entrance gte.. the washrooms are at the end of the bus trunaround area sort of "under " the stairs..easy to find well marked.. reasonable to use. also they cost..can't remember maybe about 1/2 nueve soles.

Take a large bottled water with you from AC and yes you can carry snacks. I think lunches are actually not encouraged but we had crackers etc. with us. Did not see any "lunch spots"

You can also have lunch at the Monasterio Hotel. which is just outside the entrance. Your MP ticket is good for the day so you can come and go..be sure to keep your ticket.. also when you buy your bus ticket when you buy a return ticket it is part of your going up ticket so be sure to put it where you can find it for the ride down!... they have stubs and don't look like our conventional tickets.

You will probably just want to stay the day..easier and lots of places to just sit and gaze if you get tired of hiking around.

Re: bottled water we took nalgene bottles which we filled with bottled h2o.. also bottle holders which you carry like shoulder bags are everywhere..a good thing to buy early on and also make good gifts/souvenirs for your friends who hike.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Practicalities :-)

Thank you, Traveller47. This may be a silly question but I just want to make sure: are we allowed to take our shoulder bag/ backpack into MP or do they have you check in all your bags at the entrance and only let you carry in a camera/video plus snacks/water?

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Practicalities :-)

Couple of additions: 1. The MP SANCTUARY hotel is the one by the entranace (Monastero is in Cuzco) and it has a restaurant that you can eat at (somewhat pricey). Alternatively, there is a snack bar area right by the entrance as well that sells burgers, fries, chips, etc. (pretty good, actually!). 2. You can bring small bags, but I think large, backpacker/hiker type of bags are generally discouraged. Definitely take some water

and snacks with you. Although the above-mentioned facilities are available at the entrance, it is a LONG and tiresome hike back there if you decide you are hungry/thirsty on the other side of the ruins.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Practicalities :-)

are you saying the only bathrooms are by the entrance?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Practicalities :-)

the only bathrooms I saw were by the entrance. As for pack size we had small day pack size no problem there but didn't see any large packs.. sorry about hotel wrong name and I forgot aout snack bar as we didn't use either it or the hotel at the gates for food. Poster is right it is a LONG walk back to entrance..suggest you use facilities before you go in.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Practicalities :-)

Thanks, jonahleon and traveller!

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Practicalities :-)

We were just there and it seemed that the security entering the park was not consistent. In our group two people had to empty their small packs and get rid of all food items. The person behind them in the line was eating some potato chips and was allowed to pass through unquestioned, as were we.

If it were me I would pack extra waters and some small snacks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Practicalities :-)

Since there may be restrictions against large packs, then how does this work out for people who hike the Inca Trail up to MP?

I know there's 2, 4, 7 day trips and I would assume most, if not all of those people would be coming in with large packs every day.

Would you be required to check your pack before entering? I'm just curious how the hikers do it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Practicalities :-)

Yes, they check their packs.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Practicalities :-)

I agree about the inconsistent enforcement of rules. There is a long list of things you are not supposed to bring, yet some people are allowed through while blatantly displaying them. Others not.

Just to be on the safe side, put some energy/snack bars in your pockets.