We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacred valley and Machu Picchu tickets

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Sacred valley and Machu Picchu tickets

Hi,

we are flying into Cusco at around midday on 19 November and have 6 days to see the sacred valley and Machu Picchu. I have a few questions.

1. I note that buying Machu Picchu tickets online before we leave is challenging. Do you think we will strike problems if we wait till we arrive to buy them in person - are the likely to sell out at that time of year?

2. We were planning to head straight down to the sacred valley on arrival in Cusco to help with acclimatisation. Should we get the taxi driver to take us to the place where you buy the Machu Picchu tickets in Cusco before we head down, or should we wait till we get to AC?

3. Are the trains likely to be booked out at that time of year or can we easily buy the tickets in Ollantaytambo?

4. We were thinking of staying at KB Tambo in Ollantaytambo, is this a good place to base ourselves (value for money vs quality)?

5. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay in AC and Cusco? Cheap, cheerful and clean, we don't need anything fancy. The reviews for everywhere seem to be pretty mixed.

Thanks for your help!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
671 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacred valley and Machu Picchu tickets

The ideal is to buy tickets to MP with time, especially if you go up to Huaynac Picchu. What you do in www.machupicchu.gob.pe

As for the trains, it is recommended that you buy it with time, so you can choose www.perurail.com schedules and fares.

I recommend the Vistadome train with buffet lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge, is best.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacred valley and Machu Picchu tickets

There are two categories of rooms at KB, read the reviews. The upgraded ones are fine. I think there are enough reviews for Ollanta hotels that you get a fair picture, of course read with skepticism if you see too many one/of posters, it means the owners are soliciting reviews.

3. Re: Sacred valley and Machu Picchu tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 22, 2014