We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

After reading many of the posts in this forum, I have decided to go from Cusco straight to SV, then spend more exploring Cusco upon return from Machu Picchu. I land in Cusco on September 4. It seems taking a bus from Cusco to Ollan.. is cheaper than taking a taxi. Does anybody have experience with either? I am also wondering approximately how long the trip between the 2 cities is. Is it easy to find the bus station once I leave the Cusco airport?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

I took the taxi back from Ollay to Cusco and I heard it is the same either way. Cost 40 soles for four people. Getting of the train from MP we asked another couple to join and we split it. We also did a private tour of the SV going from Cusco to Ollay which cost 160 soles again up to 4 people and the driver will stop wherever you want along the way and be will guard your bags. I hired this taxi through my hostal Piccola Locanda. Also have a blog on my trip if you are interested 416traveler.blogspot.com

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

Take the bus at your own peril....cheap but not a great experience. You'll share the bus with chickens, vegetables and a few farmers that haven't washed for a day or two.

I suggest that you take a colectivo to Ollantaytambo. They depart from Huascar by the Cusqueña beer factory just out of the center.

You'll share the car or mini van with a few other people, and will cost you about 7-8 Soles. Journey is 1h20m

Or just get a taxi there for 40 - 50 soles

San Francisco
Level Contributor
219 posts
3. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

I am confused about the taxi rate quoted. I was told by the hotel I am staying at in Ollantaytambo, that a taxi could pick me up at the Cusco airport and take me to Ollantaytambo for $40 dollars, and yet both of you quote the price at 40 soles. Can anyone explain this disparity?

dori7
Level Contributor
90 posts
4. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

usually, if you use a private taxi to ollanta it will cost you at least soles 80 to 100 because he will only take you and drop you off and has to wait for at least 4 passengers to return to cusco. The cheap way is to go to pabos on avenida grau and take a collectivo taxi whom waits for 4 passengers and charges soles 10 each. If you need more information please visit www.saexplorers.org

Thank you.

dori

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
231 helpful votes
5. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

A private transfer where someone is waiting for you at the airport with a sign is going to quote a higher rate, than negotiating a taxi on the spot.

Different service, different rate.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
56 reviews
52 helpful votes
6. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

I love riding the buses in South America, including Peru! it is inexpensive and you may be one of the only non-Peruvians on the bus. I thoroughly enjoy interacting with the locals.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
56 helpful votes
7. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

Have done both

The going taxi rate

if you negotiate well is 40 soles

Usually share for 10 soles

Have also done bus a few soles but long ponderous

lots of stops...

Always go with shared Taxi...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

For those who are confused by the conversion factor, there are approximately 3 soles per us dollar. So $30 soles is approximately $10 us. And $40 us is $120 soles. Looked at this way, the taxi prices are really quite reasonable, particularly if you are used to the rates in NYc!

9. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, June 27, 2010
USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
10. Re: Cusco to Ollantaytambo (bus/taxi?)

Don't know about 40 soles. In Ollanta, the posted rate at the hostal for a private taxi to Cusco was 70 soles...which is pretty damn reasonable.