We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

We want to hire a taxi from the Cusco airport to the SV. Our hotel would charge us $50. A local guide with whom I've been in touch has offered a driver for $50 and his guiding services for another $50. This seems rather steep. I know that we can find taxis at the airport to take us to Pisac (which is where we want to stop for a little while before heading to Urubamba). I've also heard that local guides are availabale outside of the ruins at Pisac. Should we try to wing it on our own? What's reasonable?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

Everyone on these boards seems to give a quote of about $20 to $35 for a trip from Cuzco to the SV (sems to be cheaper leaving the SV and heading to Cuzco). Stopping at Pisac along the way, though, would add onto the bill.

I am in the same predicament as you...looking for a reasonably priced driver to get me from Cuzco to the SV. Does anyone have a referral?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

We were quoted $25 for transport from Cusco airport to our hotel in Urubamba, plus about $5 extra for a couple of stops we want to make in Cuzco on the way. The hotel also arranged a driver and guide for us at $120/day for 2 people.

I'd personally rather use a guide that has been recommended by others then take my chances with someone at the site, but I think it does end up being more expensive and others on the board have had good luck with hiring guides at different sites. Arranging a guide ahead of time also saves us the time of having to find someone at each site, agree on a price, etc - more time to spend enjoying the scenery!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

We are staying at the Kuychi Rumi in Urubamba. Rodrigo is sending a driver to pick the four of us up at the airport and then stop at Pisac market and ruins on our way to the Kuychi Rumi. They are charging us $25 for that service. That felt like a great deal to me. I would send an email to the Kuychi Rumi and ask them about a driver. Good luck.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

We paid $40US for a cab from the airport to Ollantaytambo. If you want to go to Urubamba via Pisaq I would imagine that it might cost more.

We always used guides that we found at the gate. Usually they were quite good. At Pisaq we used Miguel who is a young man (22) who clearly loved the ruins and the old culture. His English was very good. His mother is one of the traditionally dressed ladies selling beaded jewelery at the entrance ... you could try asking for him, but he may not be there at that time. I think that we paid him 30 or 40 soles.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

The risk of not hiring a guide in advance is that when you show up at Pisac you can be unlucky and not find an available english speaking guide.

I also suggest you contact Rodrigo at info@urubamba.com and hire transportation and guide through him.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

Well, I just received a quote of $40 for a taxi driver from Cuzco to Ollantaytambo. Otheres had quoted $25 to $30 in earlier posts, but that is for hiring a taxi driver "on-the-spot" at the airport as opposed to a pre-arranged driver.

I'm debating which to do--reserve a driver in advance, or just "wing it" and save myself a few bucks.

Also, I have been told that arranging for a driver BACK from the SV and into Cuzco is a lot cheaper--about $20. I wonder why.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

Its a mater of demand and offer.

Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

Sorry but i feel compelled to throw a wrench into all of this wonderful advice. If you are coming in to Cusco on an early morning flight - if you flew through the night from the states, or - if you got in late the night before and, - you are not used to being in the altitude, you might find that it will be very difficult for you to hike the Pisaq ruins on arrival. I understand that many of you are travelling with time constraints and want to get as much in as possible. All i am asking is that you consider this. Altitude sickness does not know age, or fitness level unless that level has been achieved in the altitude. I have passengers there all the time and really try to stress this point. Consider getting to a hotel first, getting some rest so your body will be happy and then venturing to see the wonders of the Sacred Valley. That said, have a wonderful trip. And i wouldn't quibble over $10.00 if you could get a comfortable and safe car.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
74 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

I leave for Peru/Ecaudor in less than 2 weeks. We travel independently but needed to hire transfers and guides/drivers for our SV tours so we obtained prices from a few local "tour" companies in CUZ and just before we booked I read on Tripadvisor that Rodrigo/Claudia @ Kuychi Rumi could provide those services and that's where we were staying! They not only beat other's prices by a mile but they will go where and when we want. They are providing transfers from the CUZ airport to Kuychi Rumi; providing a 1/2 day tour of Ollanta upon arrivatl and a full day tour of various sites in SV the next day and transfers from the Ollanta train station to CUZ when we return from MP (even stopping back at Kuychi Rumi to pick up our large luggage on the way). Communication has been great; they answered my emails the same day or the next. You can get their email address at thier website - www. urubamba.com

10. Re: taxi & guides from Cusco to SV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 02, 2009