We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

xochitl, if YOU had 2- 3 days in the SV and staying in Urubamaba, how would *you* plan it in terms of what ( and when) to definitely see ( in other words, a must), while also giving yourself time to relax and enjoy just being in the SV AND slotting time to eat at some 'must' restaurants?

Would you recommend hikes to certain places or just visiting via car? Keep in mind that you are a first time visitor to Peru!

What places would you give a miss if time or fatigue constraints intervened?

Thanks a lot! :-)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

In 2 - 3 days you can visit a lot or you can pace yourself.

I would rent a car with a guide to make it easier and to allow me to stop whever to take pictures. It will not be to expensive.

My personal opinion :

Ollantaytambo for sure before Pisac, but would not miss Pisac either.(you should allow about 3 hrs for each place)

Chinchero, Maras and Moray can be also done in one full morning.

Do not miss los 3 Keros and Huacatay for dinning.

If you are staying at the KR, enjoy their gardens and many birds, do not miss the giant hummingbird, its the largest in the world.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

Gracias, Papi. Any easy hikes you can recommend in addition to the above? What about Yucay?

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

Better to stay in Urubamaba or Olly? Keep in mind that I plan on taking the train from Olly to MP. Thanks.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

My husband and I spent 3 nights in Ollantyatambo at the Pakaritampu hotel before we took the train ( within walking distance) to Aguas Calientes) On our way from Aguas Calientes ( Machu Picchu site) we returned on a morning train back to Ollantaytambo . The train takes about an hour and a half. During our stay in the Sacred Valley we took a day tour to Pisac fortress and the Market. On another afternoon, we took a taxi to Urubamba. I suggest staying in Ollantaytambo as the hotel is within walking distance to the town, the ruins and local restaurants. It is a beautiful place to be and the local people there are kind and gracious !

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

I always recommend, like many others, to stay in Urubamba. Its centrally located in the SV and has 2 excellent restaurants (Los 3 Keros and Huacatay)

See the Urubamba hotel reviews to pick one.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

Living Life,

I have decided to avoid doing my taxes today and will play around on the forum instead.

We took it easy in the SV. We were there for two nights and stayed in Ollanta, which we loved and would likely list that town as one of the highlights of our visit. The first day we toured the ruins in Ollanta. The second day we took a collectivo to Pisaq (which was an adventure all on its own ... one which I think everyone should try at some point). We got a late start on the second day so Pisaq is all that we saw. But, we were shocked by how big the ruins complex was. We then headed back to Ollanta to spend the evening sitting around the main square.

In each place we paid for a local to give us a tour. I definitely recommend having someone show you around, you will get far more out of the visit with their input.

We visited Moray, Maras and the Salt Mines on a day trip from Cuzco. The Salt Mines were especially interesting!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

Hi MIchelle! Lol, I understand fully about procrastinating on taxes :-).

So how many days did you spend in the SV ...two? Did you stay at the Pakaritampu?

You mentioned a collectivo - I was thinking of that too ...sounds like a lot of fun! Where did you get your guide from? How long were you at Pisac?

Tell me all!! How was MP, Cusco? Where and what did you eat, did you bring back any souvenirs, how was the weather when you were there, what clothes did you pack, and what did you do in Lima???

I'm waiting, I'm waiting! :-)

8. Re: For Xochitl - question regarding SV sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 31, 2009